What's new
What's new

Small part in big lathe

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
We needed a new nut for the elevator screw in one of our g&l boring mills. They wanted $3,500 for a new one so i am making one. These lead screws have a lead of .375 and this is the only lathe we have that will cut that lead. This is a 50" lathe makjng a 5" dia. nut.

Attachments

• 20191203_074720.jpg
    20191203_074720.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 657
We needed a new nut for the elevator screw in one of our g&l boring mills. They wanted $3,500 for a new one so i am making one. These lead screws have a lead of .375 and this is the only lathe we have that will cut that lead. This is a 50" lathe makjng a 5" dia. nut.

That is a big lathe, but don't you have a smaller chuck?!?! :eek:

Maybe an Aloris E? Nice to have a QCTP. All of the big lathes in the places I worked had bar clamps on the tool posts! Exact opposite of quick change.

You know there's a place in WI that specializes in making brass/bronze nuts for machines... forget the name of the place but we got all our G&L table and head nuts there... they were more like $1k, much more palatable. And they did a good job.

There were a few times that we took the screws out and re-cut the threads so that the pitch was more uniform rather than heavily worn in the middle... for those we made our own nuts.

You definitely want to turn that part around in the chuck for a more secure grip. A .375 lead will mean substantial cutting forces. You will probably need a special threading bar for that pitch & diameter combination. You may not have enough room to back out the tool and crank it out with the carriage. You will probably have to back the tool off a little and wind the tool out by reversing the spindle. I had a similar issue with a 3/4-4 Acme.

Yeah.....About 30 years ago I had the misfortune of working at a small weld shop for a very difficult owner. The Wotan horizontal boring mill pulled the threads out of the table nut. I then told him where he could buy the bronze stock to make a new one. I was not expecting what happened next. He puked onto me the most horrible string of profanity and vulgarisms I'd ever heard, to the effect that he wasn't going to pay me to machine a new nut when he could get the parts from Wotan. After a few phone calls he slinked back and told me that Wotan wanted $5000.00 for the new nut and that it had to be shipped from Germany. The bronze was then ordered and overnighted. If I remember correctly it was 5 TPI on a 50 millimeter shaft.

I quit that place right quickly thereafter.

Bob....not the cat.

Last edited:
Yeah.....About 30 years ago I had the misfortune of working at a small weld shop for a very difficult owner. The Wotan horizontal boring mill pulled the threads out of the table nut. I then told him where he could buy the bronze stock to make a new one. I was not expecting what happened next. He puked onto me the most horrible string of profanity and vulgarisms I'd ever heard, to the effect that he wasn't going to pay me to machine a new nut when he could get the parts from Wotan. After a few phone calls he slinked back and told me that Wotan wanted $5000.00 for the new nut and that it had to be shipped from Germany. The bronze was then ordered and overnighted. If I remember correctly it was 5 TPI on a 50 millimeter shaft.

I quit that place right quickly thereafter.

Bob....not the at.

Christ. I know that you don't always get the option to leave a job right off with out another lined up, but that definitely seems a case to tell the guy to F-off and make it himself after that.

You definitely want to turn that part around in the chuck for a more secure grip. A .375 lead will mean substantial cutting forces. You will probably need a special threading bar for that pitch & diameter combination. You may not have enough room to back out the tool and crank it out with the carriage. You will probably have to back the tool off a little and wind the tool out by reversing the spindle. I had a similar issue with a 3/4-4 Acme.

Its all threaded. No poroblem with hanging out or with the bar. Just used an 1 1/4 bar and a 3/8 high soeed tool.

That is probably true, but it seems the rpm would be very very limited with a chuck that size... maybe a wash time wise?

Its all threaded. No poroblem with hanging out or with the bar. Just used an 1 1/4 bar and a 3/8 high soeed tool.

Having (hopefully) somewhat sharp chuck jaw teeth and relatively soft material helps there. I would probably have had stops bolted to the chuck face so the nut could be supported behind the flange all the same. That is just good practice.

Back