Small part in big lathe
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Small part in big lathe

We needed a new nut for the elevator screw in one of our g&l boring mills. They wanted $3,500 for a new one so i am making one. These lead screws have a lead of .375 and this is the only lathe we have that will cut that lead. This is a 50" lathe makjng a 5" dia. nut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191203_074720.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

NN Monarch saves the day

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cuttergrinder View Post
    We needed a new nut for the elevator screw in one of our g&l boring mills. They wanted $3,500 for a new one so i am making one. These lead screws have a lead of .375 and this is the only lathe we have that will cut that lead. This is a 50" lathe makjng a 5" dia. nut.
    That is a big lathe, but don't you have a smaller chuck?!?!

4. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be concerned about rigidity. You might need to put a follow rest on that thing.

6. Likes lucky7, TDegenhart, rcoope, lumley32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We do have a smaller chuck but we never put a smaller one on this lathe. This big one works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its plenty rigid. I machine bushings like that that are 24" long

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To heck with the nut, how big is that QCTP? It's got to be around 8" tall at the block or something close to that!

If it's an Aloris, what's the letter size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe an Aloris E? Nice to have a QCTP. All of the big lathes in the places I worked had bar clamps on the tool posts! Exact opposite of quick change.

You know there's a place in WI that specializes in making brass/bronze nuts for machines... forget the name of the place but we got all our G&L table and head nuts there... they were more like $1k, much more palatable. And they did a good job.

There were a few times that we took the screws out and re-cut the threads so that the pitch was more uniform rather than heavily worn in the middle... for those we made our own nuts.

11. Likes Bobnotthecat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I guess the block is around 5" high if one accounts for the distance from the nut (which is presumably 5" OD on the exposed cylinder).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The toolpost is an aloris but the tag is missing. The block is about 6" square by 5" tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The toolpost is an aloris but the tag is missing. The block is about 6" square by 5" tall.
    That would make it an "E" series: https://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/31e970.pdf

I thought it was bigger initially, as I thought the 5" nut was the thread, not the body OD.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You definitely want to turn that part around in the chuck for a more secure grip. A .375 lead will mean substantial cutting forces. You will probably need a special threading bar for that pitch & diameter combination. You may not have enough room to back out the tool and crank it out with the carriage. You will probably have to back the tool off a little and wind the tool out by reversing the spindle. I had a similar issue with a 3/4-4 Acme.

16. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah.....About 30 years ago I had the misfortune of working at a small weld shop for a very difficult owner. The Wotan horizontal boring mill pulled the threads out of the table nut. I then told him where he could buy the bronze stock to make a new one. I was not expecting what happened next. He puked onto me the most horrible string of profanity and vulgarisms I'd ever heard, to the effect that he wasn't going to pay me to machine a new nut when he could get the parts from Wotan. After a few phone calls he slinked back and told me that Wotan wanted $5000.00 for the new nut and that it had to be shipped from Germany. The bronze was then ordered and overnighted. If I remember correctly it was 5 TPI on a 50 millimeter shaft.

I quit that place right quickly thereafter.

Bob....not the cat.
    Last edited by Bobnotthecat; 12-03-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnotthecat View Post
    Yeah.....About 30 years ago I had the misfortune of working at a small weld shop for a very difficult owner. The Wotan horizontal boring mill pulled the threads out of the table nut. I then told him where he could buy the bronze stock to make a new one. I was not expecting what happened next. He puked onto me the most horrible string of profanity and vulgarisms I'd ever heard, to the effect that he wasn't going to pay me to machine a new nut when he could get the parts from Wotan. After a few phone calls he slinked back and told me that Wotan wanted $5000.00 for the new nut and that it had to be shipped from Germany. The bronze was then ordered and overnighted. If I remember correctly it was 5 TPI on a 50 millimeter shaft.

I quit that place right quickly thereafter.

Bob....not the at.
    Christ. I know that you don't always get the option to leave a job right off with out another lined up, but that definitely seems a case to tell the guy to F-off and make it himself after that.

19. Likes Bobnotthecat, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neat, but I'd be more impressed to see you make a 50" nut on a 5" lathe...!

21. Likes DrHook, Limy Sami, ronf, Ron Hofer, Hightemp and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoyance View Post
    You definitely want to turn that part around in the chuck for a more secure grip. A .375 lead will mean substantial cutting forces. You will probably need a special threading bar for that pitch & diameter combination. You may not have enough room to back out the tool and crank it out with the carriage. You will probably have to back the tool off a little and wind the tool out by reversing the spindle. I had a similar issue with a 3/4-4 Acme.
    Its all threaded. No poroblem with hanging out or with the bar. Just used an 1 1/4 bar and a 3/8 high soeed tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thread is actually 2 1/4 acme with a 3/8 pitch. The flange of the nut which is in the chuck is about 5".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That is a big lathe, but don't you have a smaller chuck?!?!
    Changing the chuck is likely a larger job than the actual job itself

25. Likes Limy Sami, LKeithR, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is probably true, but it seems the rpm would be very very limited with a chuck that size... maybe a wash time wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its all threaded. No poroblem with hanging out or with the bar. Just used an 1 1/4 bar and a 3/8 high soeed tool.
    Having (hopefully) somewhat sharp chuck jaw teeth and relatively soft material helps there. I would probably have had stops bolted to the chuck face so the nut could be supported behind the flange all the same. That is just good practice.