UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Changing the chuck is likely a larger job than the actual job itself
    Holding a smaller chuck in a larger chuck is usually not that big of a deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For your next challenge try a 8 BA bolt, just kidding, where I worked the lath had an 80 ton crane over it, mind it was a biggish lathe, but there everything in a steel plant tends to be extreme in size, however I’ve seen a Chuck in a Chuck in a Chuck quite often, looks precarious
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Phil View Post
    Holding a smaller chuck in a larger chuck is usually not that big of a deal.
    No its not but if the chuck closes down small enough to hold the part then what is the point? It's a one off repair type job. My first lathe didn't have a quick change nose so I had a 14" 4 jaw on it (was only a 15" swing machine) and would grab an 8" 3 jaw or 6" 6 jaw when I had to hold small work.

I get what you're saying and if there were several to do it may be worth while but given the circumstances I would have done the same as the OP. Just my opinion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Neat, but I'd be more impressed to see you make a 50" nut on a 5" lathe...!
    Wot? Buckeye state he's postin' from.

Where LATHES come from.

Jest makes a bigger lathe, first. They been doin' that s**t for over a hunnert years already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That is probably true, but it seems the rpm would be very very limited with a chuck that size... maybe a wash time wise?
    Not so much. Not going to be running too fast anyway threading at 3/8" pitch and cutting on that much surface area with that size bar.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    No its not but if the chuck closes down small enough to hold the part then what is the point? It's a one off repair type job. My first lathe didn't have a quick change nose so I had a 14" 4 jaw on it (was only a 15" swing machine) and would grab an 8" 3 jaw or 6" 6 jaw when I had to hold small work.

I get what you're saying and if there were several to do it may be worth while but given the circumstances I would have done the same as the OP. Just my opinion.
    You are right, I just wanted to help others that may not have thought about the fact that one can hold a smaller chuck within another chuck rather than changing them if needed.

I chuck up a smaller chuck a few times a year rather than changing chucks when I need to hold something smaller than what a larger chuck allows for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Phil View Post
    You are right, I just wanted to help others that may not have thought about the fact that one can hold a smaller chuck within another chuck rather than changing them if needed.

I chuck up a smaller chuck a few times a year rather than changing chucks when I need to hold something smaller than what a larger chuck allows for.
    That's righteous enuf' as a resource-extender OR time-saver.

I keep an ER 40 on plate-mount in addition to my D1-3 one.

Same-again 5C.

Not so much about centering in the 4-J.

Intentional OFF-centering, rather.

But yah gets the repeatability of the collet system rather than messing with the 4-J, directly, each and every of "many" parts when eccentricity is actually on the tasking.

Cheap enuf. Also serves as off-lathe, rotab, grinder, DH, mill, or bench workholding. As do some of the many chucks.

Invest in tooling. Or pay for it anyway with time wasted and still not HAVE it, every go thereafter 'til Hell freezes over.

8. Likes Turbowerks, NC Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Invest in tooling. Or pay for it anyway with time wasted and still not HAVE it, every go thereafter 'til Hell freezes over.
    Many people I know just do not get this

10. Likes Turbowerks liked this post