small rant: why do used machine dealers not list prices - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the days of printed catalogs with no prices and separate price sheets there was a good reason. Catalogs without prices shipped at THE CHEAPEST book rate through the US post office. A price sheet or catalog with posted prices was not considered literature and had to pay a higher postage rate. It actually makes sense a company would publish a huge catalog and only have to update prices over the years.
    Bil lD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used Machinery dealers are a dying breed.
    The few that are left seem to fit into a couple of categories:
    Fossils, who own their property outright, and are living in the past, who dont have to make modern overhead payments- so they are happy to just wait years and see if they get their price.
    Usually, these guys die in the saddle, and their "valuable" stock gets auctioned and scrapped for 5% of what they thought it was worth.

Dealers that only sell late model cncs, as they realize they lose money on any sale under about 50k.
    These guys have minimal stock, and rely on pretty quick turnover and consignments.

In every city I know very well, most used machinery dealers are long gone. At current rents, taxes, and labor costs, the overhead alone means you need to turn a few millions of dollars worth a year.
    In Seattle, when I started out in the seventies, there were a half dozen dealers with stock on the floor, plus Boeing surplus. Now, there is one guy who has a half dozen machines at any given time, and makes his living mostly from repairs.

In LA, when I lived there in the 80s, there were a dozen big places with a hundred or two machines on the floor- a half dozen on Santa Fe alone. There is one left on Santa Fe, and maybe a couple more in the whole metro area. Sterling still exists, again because they own the real estate, and they finance, at very high retail prices. Everybody else retired, and the kids sold the real estate for maybe ten or twenty times the yearly gross.

Same thing with NYC- I remember when there was a whole neighborhood of used machinery dealers. Every one of those buildings is now worth $20 to $50 million dollars. The last one moved to Long Island something like a decade ago, most of the rest are long dead and gone.

Bottom line- there is no money in that business.
    And the few survivors are in it because, if they retired, they know they would be dead in a week of boredom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Last year when I first started trying to sell one of my haas mills. davidn brought it to my attention that it was listed on Premier's website.
    The funny thing was, I had never even talked to them about brokering it. I checked out the listing. And, quickly deduced that they stole the info/pictures from my Craigslist listing!
    So, I did what anybody would do. I requested a quote on it, LOL
    They came back at me with a price of $72k (I was asking $50k) and talked like it was on their floor ready to go.
    So, yes Limi Sami, I'm going to wholehearted agree with you. Slimy little pricks.
    Is that legal?
    How do you offer to sell something you have no claim to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Used Machinery dealers are a dying breed.
    The few that are left seem to fit into a couple of categories:
    Fossils, who own their property outright, and are living in the past, who dont have to make modern overhead payments- so they are happy to just wait years and see if they get their price.
    Usually, these guys die in the saddle, and their "valuable" stock gets auctioned and scrapped for 5% of what they thought it was worth.
    Yep, seen it over and over.
    They go to their graves waiting to get their price on declining to valueless assets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think they also want to get your contact information so they can bombard you with e-mails and phone calls forever. When I joined this forum I was shopping for a CNC lathe and trying to dispose of the two machines it would replace. Dispose of meant haul them away for free. That is when I found out a lot of machinery dealers are doing nothing but brokering machines scattered all over the USA. Strangely enough I sent out quite a few e-mails making inquiries, I pretty much got no responses. Then a couple weeks into my search Milacron mentioned he might have something I would be interested in. Almost as soon as I buy the machine off of Don and it arrives at my shop the machinery dealers start responding. Some of them kept trying to contact me for years. One still sends emails of equipment lists for sale 15 years later.

One of my favorite things is when they list a machine as reconditioned and then you ask them what they did to it and all of a sudden you get silence.

6. Likes Janderso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post

One of my favorite things is when they list a machine as reconditioned and then you ask them what they did to it and all of a sudden you get silence.
    I think that means they put a fresh coat of paint on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    If I even see the slightest evidence of a paint-job? That machine is off the list!
    Machinestationusa on ebay! They paint everything! Instantly removes those machines from consideration!
    Even better is when they are too stupid to take the machine off the 4x4s they painted it on, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    The machine in question didn't even have a new paint job. All they probably did was wipe down the outside with simple green and vacuum out the chips.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it's very simple. prices are not listed because they want to size up the buyer - which means there is not one price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to be a magazine published monthly, I think it was called "Industrial Machinery News". Dad would get it at work and bring it home for us kids to drool over. I haven't seen a copy of it in many years. So dealers listed prices, most did not. I always wondered what happen to that publication....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
    it's very simple. prices are not listed because they want to size up the buyer - which means there is not one price.
    The price is generally what you are willing to pay for it or based on need rather than want. If you need it they figure you'll pay more than if you just wanted it because it may some day be worth having. I think that can be said on just about anything that's for sale. Just do your home work before buying.

13. Likes CalG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I couldn't agree more.
    I purchased a Clausing Lathe and a Knee Mill from a machinery dealer. Both times I saw the item online on their website, sent an e-mail asking for a price, responded and bought the items.
    Now I get e-mails from them but that's OK. I love to browse.
    It's funny, everyone hates salesmen. I'm the general manager of a Ford dealer. I hate salesman.
    Back when Saturn had the business model of no dicker pricing, they had the highest gross profit per unit sold than any other brand. Excluding the high end German products.
    Interesting.....

15. Likes Steven-Canada, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    If I even see the slightest evidence of a paint-job? That machine is off the list!
    Machinestationusa on ebay! They paint everything! Instantly removes those machines from consideration!
    Even better is when they are too stupid to take the machine off the 4x4s they painted it on, LOL
    Machinery Consultants here in Utah. But hey, the porch paint ups the price 500%...

17. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The local dealer from whom I got my first machine actually does test machines and replace/rebuild things where necessary. They did something to tighten up backlash on mine. When you go to their shop, they've got way covers off and cabinets open to check things out. Most of what they sell is really large stuff where they buy out whole factory lines with low hour use and sometime they get some small machines (like my Sharp) along with them.

But still, for as much as they complain about being out of space for inventory, they sure don't seem to want to blow out those Robodrills... LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Price

What is wanted
    Where it's wanted
    When it's wanted.

Prices are net set by the seller.
    Prices are determined buy the buyer's willingness.

Go do it yourself, become a machinery dealer, see how it works out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Ones that doo:
    1. McKean Machinery (will wire & set up the machine up if you call ahead, to test run)
    2. HGR (more of a warehouse than a true dealer, as you can't test run anything there)
    3. "Procyon Machine"
    4.) Hildebrand Machinery in York, PA Every machine has a plastic sleave hanging on the machine with the specification and price

21. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Go do it yourself, become a machinery dealer, see how it works out for yourself.
    Uhh, no effin' thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My favorite part about HGR, I have had fantastic experiences with them. They could not make the process any easier. Now the merchandise might suck or be junk but hey, one email, one credit card and boom its at your door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    My favorite part about HGR, I have had fantastic experiences with them. They could not make the process any easier. Now the merchandise might suck or be junk but hey, one email, one credit card and boom its at your door.
    And I've always read/heard they were super helpful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 1/2 of the stuff for sale on Craig's list the title says $0. then the body of the description has the real price. I think this brings them to the top in lowest price first searches. And they stay below your max price limit search cutoff..
    Bil lD