small rant: why do used machine dealers not list prices - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    It was almost shocking how much worse the items looked in person compared to the E-bay ads. I don't know if it was the angles, lighting or they were touching up the pictures, something wasn't right.
    i figured that out after receiving a few items from current ebay sellers that do the same thing. So so lighting, and very overexposed photo, then lightened further afterward if necessary removes information and covers up lots of detail, but shows the overall item. Your eyes and brain fill in the missing details so it looks a lot better than it is.

Here's an example - you can see all the surfaces and edges, but you can't see many details on the surface so it looks nearly new. Many of Reliable's photos looked just like this.

s-l1600.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    i figured that out after receiving a few items from current ebay sellers that do the same thing. So so lighting, and very overexposed photo, then lightened further afterward if necessary removes information and covers up lots of detail, but shows the overall item. Your eyes and brain fill in the missing details so it looks a lot better than it is.

Here's an example - you can see all the surfaces and edges, but you can't see many details on the surface so it looks nearly new. Many of Reliable's photos looked just like this.

s-l1600.jpg
    For some reason my photography skills are the opposite of that. When I was parting out a couple machines and selling duplicates of 3 jaw chucks and the like the pictures made the items look rusty even though I cleaned the items up well and sprayed them with light oil.

3. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    For some reason my photography skills are the opposite of that. When I was parting out a couple machines and selling duplicates of 3 jaw chucks and the like the pictures made the items look rusty even though I cleaned the items up well and sprayed them with light oil.

I've had that happen too, I suspect it has to do with light source color temp and white balance in the camera.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a low low hourly rate I can ask my Assistant to adjust your photos. She's pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a good question, why do mill/lathe mfrs not advertise more to the general public, we see the results here where many new people to the industry only know the names that are advertised. Had a neighbor over a few months back and was showing off my lathes, he made the comment of "Oh, I thought you would have nicer machines", inquiring as to what he meant by that the response was "I thought you would have some nice ones, like Grizzlys". Yes I had to take a deep breath, questioning him further as to why he thought Grizz was good, the answer was "that is all I ever see advertised".

7. Likes bryan_machine, Milacron, mhajicek, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Here is a good question, why do mill/lathe mfrs not advertise more to the general public, we see the results here where many new people to the industry only know the names that are advertised. Had a neighbor over a few months back and was showing off my lathes, he made the comment of "Oh, I thought you would have nicer machines", inquiring as to what he meant by that the response was "I thought you would have some nice ones, like Grizzlys". Yes I had to take a deep breath, questioning him further as to why he thought Grizz was good, the answer was "that is all I ever see advertised".
    I had a guy look at my big Cincinnati lathe and say that's the biggest South Bend he's ever seen. All lathe's are South Bend to some people.
    It would be nice if the machine tool sellers would be more open with pricing. They all want your information to get a quote. I also always feel like they are sizing you up. If they gave a price at least you could shop around without getting spammed later.

9. Likes Milacron, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    This really gets me as well.

Most don't have inventory.

The same machine is listed on opposite sides of the country.

Some have the audacity to steal photos and descriptions.

I have mostly looked at eBay to get ballpark pricing and then watched the videos to see indicators of machine location. For instance, a machine I may buy for a project is still at the manufacturer in Michigan based on the stickers on the machine and the video, but the machine is listed as being in Chicago. WTF? Pretty big difference in price for me when my riggers can go get it versus needing rigging at both ends and transportation. On the phone the guys confirm it is still at the plant.
    This exactly pisses me so much off.

I've seen adds on different okumas and different country's with the same pics.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Guess I'm one of the people who don't think/operate that way, buying OR selling.

Pisses me off that you can advertise something and say the price isn't negotiable only to find some clown offering you half the amount. I never bother replying.

PDW
    I just simply quit trying to sell stuff on craigslist a couple years ago. Tired of exactly what you speak of.
    I would put disclaimers in the listing stating how firm the price was. And, the looks I would get turning people away over $20!
    They would get so pissed!
    A couple times, I was so aggravated at their dumb offers, I would turn them away. And, they would say "Fine I'll take it at your price".
    And, my response was "Nope, I said no haggling. You haggled. I'm done." And would leave (wherever we met. I never let them come to my home!)

12. Likes Mud, mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I just simply quit trying to sell stuff on craigslist a couple years ago. Tired of exactly what you speak of.
    I would put disclaimers in the listing stating how firm the price was. And, the looks I would get turning people away over $20!
    A couple times, I was so aggravated at their dumb offers, I would turn them away. And, they would say "Fine I'll take it at your price".
    And, my response was "Nope, I said no haggling. You haggled. I'm done." And would leave (wherever we met. I never let them come to my home!)
    Turn up & say 'I'm $20 short - will that do?'

No. Come back with all the money but ring first - got someone else waiting in line.

Same shit here unfortunately. And I have a few things I want to unload so am gloomily seeing some re-runs in my future.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    You see industrial machinery advertising all over the place in Japan. It was odd, but cool, to see Fanuc and IKO advertisements all over the place.

15. Likes dalmatiangirl61, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Usually, also putting "must supply voice phone number in the subject response to this add, if not response will not be read or replied to" gets rid of a major number of yahoos, of course do not post your number in the add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sell on CL and have had good experiences doing so.

If I am firm on the price I say so in the ad.
    If I haven't stated firm, I expect to be offered less.
    Either way I price it to sell with no Fantasyland expectations.

When the buyer shows and offers less than what my stated firm price is the ad, I politely tell them the price is firm just like I put in the ad.
    I don't get mad or emotionally invested.

They usually say 'oh,, OK' and fork over the money. I really can't blame a guy for trying. lol
    Extremely rare to have someone walk away.
    Never had anyone get angry.

And if they do walk away, I don't get bent out of shape. It always sells later, though I might have to lower my firm price to do so.
    Which of course means it was priced too high.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    I sell on CL and have had good experiences doing so.

If I am firm on the price I say so in the ad.
    If I haven't stated firm, I expect to be offered less.
    Either way I price it to sell with no Fantasyland expectations.

When the buyer shows and offers less than what my stated firm price is the ad, I politely tell them the price is firm just like I put in the ad.
    I don't get mad or emotionally invested.

They usually say 'oh,, OK' and fork over the money. I really can't blame a guy for trying. lol
    Extremely rare to have someone walk away.
    Never had anyone get angry.

And if they do walk away, I don't get bent out of shape. It always sells later, though I might have to lower my firm price to do so.
    Which of course means it was priced too high.
    Hey ! What are you being all reasonable for !

I used to hate the haggling stuff too but in China, it's a requirement. So i gave up, just added a little to haggle down to, and now life is easier. For a lot of people it isn't the money, it's "getting a good deal !"

When in Rome, speak Latin.

19. Likes dalmatiangirl61, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Found one at a dealer I won't mention (Performance machine Tools, Fremont,CA)
    Are they still in business? They were the last ones standing around here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    You "anti-salesman, just list the price" guys are treading water.

It has been studied and proven many times over in actual practice that it is the CUSTOMER who prefers haggling and dickering on the price of vehicle. The psychology is "whatever price they list, I know I can/should get something lower".

Want proof? Look back and you'll see that every dealer who operates on the business model of "One price for all, no haggling" goes out of business or reverts to the usual practice.

Your average car dealer would love to get rid of all his salesmen and not even talk to customers except the say thanks when they roll out the door. But it's the customer who seeks the intercourse.
    I'm not so sure of that. Matter of fact, I bought my last vehicle (a few months ago) because the prices were listed on the vehicle AND the salesman let us walk around for 10-15 minutes and didn't pounce on us when we drove into the lot... I certainly don't want to haggle over price. List the price, give me 3-5 minutes with Google on my phone, and I can be reasonably assured the price I am looking at is "fair" or not.

22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    If you list prices the people who sold you the machine can now calculate the margins
    Next time they have something for sale they are prepared

I am a machinerydealer and I do list prices
    But that makes me a reference for buyers
    They are good if they get a cheaper offer from another

2 Reasons not to mention prices
    I only mention prices on my website because you have to have a good memory to keep up with all the prices and I do not have that So if a buyers calls I tell them to look at my website for prices or I do it myself

Peter

Here I state some valid reassons but nobody is interested in them it seems
    A lott of bitching is preferred

Peter from Holland

24. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter from Holland
    I read them.
    And I don't agree with them.

"If you list prices the people who sold you the machine can now calculate the margins
    Next time they have something for sale they are prepared" ???

Prepared for what ? all out war ? or just fighting with fist's ?

Some sales people will be quite frank, and explain how much they must make to stay in business.
    It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Why would you hide this ?

Honest and above board, works best.
    Last edited by digger doug; 02-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.

26. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like every dickhead on CL or FB thinks that they are running the shop on Pawn Stars. "I need $1000" "Best I can do is $45"

When I buy from a straight shooter and pay his asking price because it's a hot deal, I get surprised blinking stares.

I get so tempted to do this to lowballers -

drone-table-just-leave-money-39705927.jpg

28. Likes dalmatiangirl61, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Seems like every dickhead on CL or FB thinks that they are running the shop on Pawn Stars. "I need $1000" "Best I can do is $45"

When I buy from a straight shooter and pay his asking price because it's a hot deal, I get surprised blinking stares.

I get so tempted to do this to lowballers -

drone-table-just-leave-money-39705927.jpg
    I find it amusing (somewhat anyhow) that I know where Fruita, CO is, and I have even been there!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Peter from Holland
    You "listed" 2 reasons, against the majority consensus here that not listing prices = bad.