What's new
What's new

Small Threaded Spike Source

CGornet

Aluminum
Hey all, struggling to find something like this that is commercially available in a small diameter (#10 or smaller on the thread). Making a set of pegs for my kids bike and something like this would be great for his boots to grip to.

Any ideas of where to look? Stainless would be preferred, but not necessary.

Attachments

• Earth-Rod-Driving-Spike-for-Solid-Copper-Earthing-Rod.jpg
    Earth-Rod-Driving-Spike-for-Solid-Copper-Earthing-Rod.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 372
The first thing that comes to mind, would be dial indicator tips. They are frail though....
A target arrow, head, will have a profile close to that, but the thread is probably Ø1/4 or 6mm. (total guess)
Ice studs for tires?

Beyond that, do you know anybody with a cnc lathe and 1-2 hours of time????

Doug is close, but the threads are what you want. I just pulled a field point and eyeballed it. It looks like #8 or 10. The threads end up about 3/4" below the base of the point. About half of that is unthreaded shank, maybe 5/32 diameter. Go to an archery shop, and study the inventory. The three I just pulled are all a little different.

Does he wear shin guards? May want to start if he doesn't now. I've skinned myself pretty good on regular pedals, I'd be hamburger with some of these. If these are foot pegs for a dirt bike then I guess it's less likely you'd get shin contact.

you might try looking for an earth rod driving spike. Something that just popped into my head while I was looking at the picture you posted. :D Years ago we were building part of a machine for winding up rolls of foam rubber. Had similar looking spikes that screwed into the rollers. Maybe McMaster? I don't recall if we bought them or made them.

As Miland was saying, years ago I was kick starting a dirt bike and my foot slipped and I rammed my shin into the peg. I wouldn't want those anywhere near me.

Thanks all, those bike pins may be the ticket.

These are for a dirt bike, so he has riding boots that protect him up to his knee. Appreciate the concern though. I have a few friends in Michigan who ice race ATV's and one of them got his leg sucked up under a tire with ice studs...those are images I'll never forget!

I have some Hilte spikes made from hardened steel that have that thread. They are about 1/2" inch long and about 1/8" diameter with a 10-24 thread. PM me if you want them since getting them in small quantities may be an issue. I used them to shoot some attachment points into a concrete beam and don't need them any more.

I have some Hilte spikes made from hardened steel that have that thread. They are about 1/2" inch long and about 1/8" diameter with a 10-24 thread. PM me if you want them since getting them in small quantities may be an issue. I used them to shoot some attachment points into a concrete beam and don't need them any more.

Your messages are full sir.

Back