Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckerkumm View Post
    Thanks, Bilmac. Here is my set up. The flange could serve for the reader if the four holes don't mess up the readings. I think the flange is also the bearing adjustment. There is a set screw that was loose but the flange had not loosened up. I could also put a second ring with a 2.875+ ID and paint that to avoid messing with the adjusting flange. DaveAttachment 315804Attachment 315805Attachment 315807
    Dave -

I used the small vertical face of the spindle for my black and white painted sectors. The pcb holding the optical transducer then is mounted just above the surface of the painted flange. The pcb is held in a Delrin clamp, which in turn is attached to an Aluminium plate which attaches to the bearing flange with the four screws. This is a bit over elaborate, but has held up perfectly for many years. See the photos below that should explain better:

p1010417.jpgp1010416c.jpgp1010407c.jpgp1010406c.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by craigd View Post
    Did either of you end up with the rear tool post? The sales pamphlet has a thumb nail image - it doesn't look to tough to make (waiting for a rainy day). Do either of you know if there was an official platform over the headstock or tailstock? Anyway, I like what you guys have done with your machines. Regards, DavidC
    I didn't get a rear toolpost, but like you have thought that it would be fairly easy to add one. The mounting holes are already there, just needs a chunk of Durabar.

I have also thought about making a front toolpost that would entirely replace the compound. This would increase the already rigid nature of the lathe and allow for larger tools to be used.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you any of the "Extra Equipment"?
    Everything that you show is standard equipment delivered with every 1024. In terms of what might possibly be considered extra equipment I have fixed and travelling steadies, three jaw and four jaw chucks, faceplate, micrometer saddle stop and of course a full set of change gears. I am not certain but I think all of this is also 'standard' in that it would have been delivered with the lathe. I don't have a taper turning attachment, but I think that my lathe did originally have one. I would guess that this might have been considered an 'extra'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the definition of "extra equipment" according to S&B: s-b-1024-pg-05-red.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you got the drawbar and the Dc collets? That is usually included although it looks like extra cost. My machine had the Algra post, and a Bison 6" three jaw and 8" four jaw. The tailstock has the lever. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've the drawbar and picked up a set of 5C collets. My 6" 3J is not branded (but quite a nice one), the 8" 4J is a narrow profile direct mount PB (very nice to have is to short). The Algra post looks similar to the Dixon or Rapid-Original. How is it for getting additional holders? I don't have coolant - I believe there was at one time, as there is a tank and some fittings, but there is not controls related to the coolant, so I suspect it was an add on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The adjusters are the main difference between the Algra and the Dickson. The Dickson uses thicker adjusting flanges. I think about .020 or so. I found some dickson holders and used the surface grinder to thin the adjusters down. My coolant pump was 550v so I don't use it. Dave

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the definition of "extra equipment" according to S&B: s-b-1024-pg-05-red.jpg
    Interesting - I don't recall seeing that but may have missed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my version of the tach. Not as refined as Billmac but works. My masking tape was .71" wide so I turned down aluminum to 2.71 so I could cover the circumference with twelve strips and sprayed the bushing. As I suspected, S and B didn't change the pulley ratio for the 60 hz market so the rpms are 20% higher than quoted on the plate. With the new vector 1800 rpm motor, the 60 hz speed is 1627 +- with the 1-1 clutch position. At 120 hz the top end is slightly over 2900. Since the Matrix is listed to 3000 rpm I don't plan to go faster. I don't know if the Matrix speed limit is input or output but the motor will do 90 hz without losing torque and that measures 2400+.dscn3989.jpgdscn3990.jpgdscn3991.jpg. Dave

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks good to me. Will the cover go back on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cover is back on although I probably should get into the gear chain and check the bearing for grease. The drive gear castle nut was not tight. I tightened it but there is still slight in and out play on the gear. Dave