What's new
What's new

Smart phone in the shop

Bill D

Diamond
I did search and the latest smart phone reference is 2012 so how do you carry a smart phone in the shop without damaging it? In a pocket or what? Ho do you keep chips and sawdsut off.
Any suggestions for a rugged simple smart phone that can survive in the shop environment. Kyocera used to make some rugged flip phones.
Bil lD.

Probably the best bet is a good case carrying it in your front pocket, long as it ain't one of those huge jobbers, maybe something similar to a otterbox. When I got my daughter the iPhone 8 we bought a case that was supposed to be shock and water proof, take it swimming they said. The cases that hang off your belt seem like they'd get hung up on things.

Here very few toolmakers carry it on them all day, me included. I just set it on the ledge of my box. If it rings I have no trouble hearing it, text messages are low priority so they don't matter, that's just me anyway. I've never broken one, dropped one in the parking lot and the vibration thingy stopped working is all. Probably everyone will have a different opinion on this.

Brent

Last edited:
If you a look on Flea bay or the other usual scumbags. You can find a clamshell style metal case that screws together encasing the entire phone. Ya gotts to be careful cause their are plenty of shitty ones but a few like mine that are really tough. Just last week I dropped my phone about 8 feet onto the shop floor and it survived. I admit is a little heavy but then again it is not made of from recycled tin foil.
One tip and just the tip mind you, put a VERY small whiff of your favorite flavor of Loctite on the screws they have the propensity to loosen up over time. Loose one you never find it, I thin they are only visible to the ten year old's eyes assembling them.
Happy hunting.

I carry one in a belt pouch made by NiteIze, not a big fan of it but it works and I can buy replacements at the local big box store. They still make 'rugged' smart phones, I've had a couple but now all the better phones are sealed with IP67 ratings and I haven't had a problem with grinding dust getting into and killing speakers like I use to.

I don't use screen protectors anymore either, with the new gorilla glass or sapphire screens I don't see the need except if yours is already cracked and your using it to limp it along, plus they typically ruin the feel of them.

Biggest problem with the new Edge screens where it curves around is they're more fragile to drops. I use an otterbox case on mine and haven't had an issue with it in 2 years, and its had its fair share of drops. I think any case that is proud of the edges some would be good.

One of the big benefits to me of having a good phone is the cameras on the flagship or older flagship phones are amazing for what they are.

If you have one of the mainstream phones (iPhone, GalaxyX, Pixel, etc) you can get a LifeProof or OtterBox brand case for it. I recommend the LifeProof, personally, they really do honor their warranty... I have a coworker who is on about his 5th LifeProof, and he only paid for the first one, the rest are all warranty replacements... And no, the cases aren't failing because they're bad, they're failing because he is an absolute ANIMAL and destroys anything he touches, including his phone/cases.

I have a Kyocera durapro, it's rugged as hell, waterproof, and class 1 div 1. I use the standard Verizon cases. I've had it almost 3 years now and I've had no trouble with it.

"smart phone in the shop" is nothing but a dangerous distraction.

leave it in the office.

I've had the Kyocera Duraforce Pro II for about 10 months now..

I'm pretty happy with it... Its been dropped a lot, because
I'm a clutz.. And its fine.. Still not a single scratch on
the screen, which is nice.

I haven't tried it yet, but there is an entire section
in the manual about using the phone underwater..

The little cover over the charging port hasn't gone
to hell yet, like it did on my Casio GZone. Sealed
with an o-ring..

Its not really light, and its not really thin, but its
damn durable. And price wise, compared to a Samsung or
an I-phone, its almost free.

I carry one in a belt pouch made by NiteIze, not a big fan of it but it works and I can buy replacements at the local big box store.

Same here, great carrier, never slips off, never drops the phone. Plus i carry business cards in it. I put my phone in a combo plastic/rubber case that cost about $10 or so on ebay and throw away the clip holder that it comes with, that makes it easy to hold onto, and carry it in the Nite Ize pouch. I wear the velcro out in about a year or so.

I've had the Kyocera Duraforce Pro II for about 10 months now..

I'm pretty happy with it... Its been dropped a lot, because
I'm a clutz.. And its fine.. Still not a single scratch on
the screen, which is nice.

I haven't tried it yet, but there is an entire section
in the manual about using the phone underwater..

The little cover over the charging port hasn't gone
to hell yet, like it did on my Casio GZone. Sealed
with an o-ring..

Its not really light, and its not really thin, but its
damn durable. And price wise, compared to a Samsung or
an I-phone, its almost free.

I've had mine knocked out of the holster and fall off a fire truck with no ill effect. I've thrown it on the floor to "demonstrate" it's toughness. It's not the biggest, it's definitely the heaviest but it does what I need it to do. Now if only the CAT s61 was available through Verizon I'd get that...integrated thermal cam is awesome.

I carry a Caterpillar S60 in my front pocket. No case needed, it has an aluminum frame. I've dropped it four or five feet onto concrete a number of times with no significant damage. As a bonus it has a built in infrared camera, so I can see if the heat is coming out with the chips like it's supposed to, if that shrink fit holder has cooled off enough yet, or if I have gaps in my insulation.

I modified one of those old doctors reflector/mirrors so I can screw whatever phone I want right to my forehead. Very easy to swing out of the way too. Everything is voice control now, so I just walk around the shop with a smart phone attached to my face, whilst I say things to the air like "NO, not practicalpenis.com , I said practicalmachinist.com!!!"

Pretty sure I'm going to lose my job soon.

R

All depends from what do you use it for.
If you dont need it every minute, do not use it as calc or notebook, and just need receive calls and control radio/music - you can use any phone (hold in safety place)+cheap smart watch (mi band 4)+wireless earphones/speaker.

Hard shell like otterbox and ”hardened” screen protector works well enough to carry in same pocket with key bundle and assortment of swarf and chips. Wireless charging is good idea so you can keep the usb port covered.

But Iphone camera attracts steel swarf, apparently there is strong magnet inside the camera module.

Get a Sonim and never look back. I bought a used one off eBay about five years ago after my 10th or 11th Moto U9 broke at the hinge. The Sonim XP5500 cost me $100 plus a new battery and charger(s). I charge it once every couple of weeks and clean up the messages when needed, but it does everything. And it is waterproof, shockproof, dustproof...everything proof.
Sonim Technologies – We serve the people who serve us

Get a Sonim and never look back. I bought a used one off eBay about five years ago after my 10th or 11th Moto U9 broke at the hinge. The Sonim XP5500 cost me $100 plus a new battery and charger(s). I charge it once every couple of weeks and clean up the messages when needed, but it does everything. And it is waterproof, shockproof, dustproof...everything proof.
Sonim Technologies – We serve the people who serve us

Dang, I was kind of excited... Not for use on Verizon...

"smart phone in the shop" is nothing but a dangerous distraction.

leave it in the office.

False. It's actually a very useful tool. There's a ton of useful apps for the shop, along with being able to take pictures of setups and just dump em right into the part folder on the network. If you do a lot of castings you know pictures are a huge help.

Back