What's new
What's new

smooth finish tool for polyamid

feconkar

Plastic
Hi,

I am trying to make a single piston pump. I will use a honed steel pipe for cylinder. And also use a polyamid head and a steel shaft for the piston.

I have reduced the diameter of polyamid workpiece 52mm to 50mm with a hss 4 blade tool on a rotary table. By the way polyamid surface was a little bit rough after milling beacuse of heat and other factors.

polyamid machining.jpg

Now the question, Which tool can i use to finish the surface of the polyamid ? (i don't have a lathe)

Nylons easy to get a good finish on as long as you use ;-

A brand new and ultra sharp HSS cutter that has been used for NOTHING else.

Keep the heat down by keeping the speed down, feed up and use coolant.

Hi,

I am trying to make a single piston pump. I will use a honed steel pipe for cylinder. And also use a polyamid head and a steel shaft for the piston.

I have reduced the diameter of polyamid workpiece 52mm to 50mm with a hss 4 blade tool on a rotary table. By the way polyamid surface was a little bit rough after milling beacuse of heat and other factors.

View attachment 281158

Now the question, Which tool can i use to finish the surface of the polyamid ? (i don't have a lathe)

you do have a lathe, of sorts that is, but you don't know yet.
take an arbor for the mill, attach a plate of steel to it, mount a lathe cutter on the bed of the mill, cut the plate to be a backplate for the three jaw you got on the rotary, mount three jaw to arbor, cut the polyamide with a sharp hss tool.

take an arbor for the mill, attach a plate of steel to it, mount a lathe cutter on the bed of the mill, cut the plate to be a backplate for the three jaw you got on the rotary, mount three jaw to arbor, cut the polyamide with a sharp hss tool.

CAn You explain more? if you can make quick drawing, this will help alot.

This is also handy if you have to hold something small like a bolt and need to turn the head down and don't have a lathe with a collet chuck.

CAn You explain more? if you can make quick drawing, this will help alot.

the picture limy sami posted should be clear.
as you seem to have a bridgeport type machine it is easiest to imagine the head being parallel to the bed, tilted 90 degree.
the head would be the headstock.
for light work it will do perfectly.
it will even give you a swing bigger than any small lathe.:)
keith fenner in his you tube channel made one for his K&T horizontal mill.YouTube
that should help you to get going.

Back