Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had metal in the charging port of the iPhone as i keep the phone in my pocket, it stops the phone from being charged.

The fix i found was to put the phone in a ziplock sandwich bag which i can get at the supermarket i go through bags every so often so they get changed.
    you can still use the phone in the bag or take it out when you need it.
    having your phone go down is a real pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many will sneer, but iPhones are far less prone to the earpiece attracting metal fines than any other phone I've used. I don't know why exactly, maybe the coil is less magnetic or maybe it's something to do with the specific type of mesh they use. Of course the charging port needs cleaned out occasionally.

FWIW, the gum that renishaw sell for cleaning their probing equipment is excellent at cleaning out the tiny orifices of modern phones. Blu-tak works ok too, but not as well, it sometimes tends to break off inside the holes but otherwise does a pretty decent job of pulling the dirt out.

3. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure why it seems to be everyone’s first instinct to reach for the air hose. (Ok I actually do know, but just because it’s quick and easy doesn’t make it right)

Use a small paint brush. And a shop vac if needed. Air just blows the crap in tighter and deeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    Very interesting. I've ruled out Samsung for a while because of bad past experience with build quality. I also just plain don't like the idea of glass-back devices. But I never thought about IP67 ratings for metal - though I guess it is a "dust".
    I quit having the problem when I went to IP rated Kyocera rugged phones, then I went to Samsung phones, Note 7, S7, and now Note 8, and haven't had any metal shaving issues with any of them. They do live in a belt pouch, but I don't set it aside when welding/grinding.

I don't like glass backed phones either, but I've got a case on mine and haven't had an issue with it. Are they as tough as a rugged phone? No, but I like the features better, specifically the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been into Motorola's for a while. They make a decent mid-grade phone for a good price. Especially on the used market. I am NOT the guy that "leases" a "flagship" phone for $50 a month. :loco:

That said, Motorola has an X4 model that's IP68 rated. About $100 on ebay for a like-new condition phone. Perhaps one of these, or maybe a Galaxy S7 may be in my future after this thread.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    I've been into Motorola's for a while. They make a decent mid-grade phone for a good price. Especially on the used market. I am NOT the guy that "leases" a "flagship" phone for $50 a month. :loco:

That said, Motorola has an X4 model that's IP68 rated. About $100 on ebay for a like-new condition phone. Perhaps one of these, or maybe a Galaxy S7 may be in my future after this thread.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    I just looked into the X4 and the article I chose to read was disparaging that phone for lacking a number of "key features" like an all-glass design, dual rear cameras, and some other nonsense that was either irrelevant or worse in my view. Really goes to show how different the needs are of someone looking for a productivity device than someone who is willing to blow cash on a status symbol. It's a little frustrating to me.

8. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Moto X4 does have dual rear cameras. And, in my opinion, an all-glass design is a liability, unless you just feel like you NEED to have wireless charging. I don't... In fact, an all-glass design is a humungous turn-off for me in a cell phone. (As are rear-mounted fingerprint readers... What if it's laying on a desk-table? Come on... But I digress...

One thing I've gotten hooked on with current Moto's are the "Moto-Gestures" that they build in. Pull the phone from your pocket, and "karate-chop" the phone twice, and the rear LED 'flash-light' comes on. I use this ALL THE TIME.

Also, pull the phone from your pocket, and "twist" the phone twice, and the camera comes on. I use this a lot for quick pictures. Honestly, it's nice in the shop when you need to take pictures of CNC program, offset page, whatever for comparison. "Twist" twice again, and it switches to the front camera.

As it pertains to this thread, I'll probably pick up a mint Moto X4 for $100, on ebay a cheap rubber-sleeve case for $5 on ebay, and put a piece of taper of the speaker(s). That is unless anyone has better/wiser recommendations anyway.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Anything with google in the name is a piece of shit.
    now now, the first few years of google earth....