Softening hardened cast iron
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Softening hardened cast iron

    I have a casting off a drill press that had a setscrew which had been overtightened and cracked off a piece of the casting. I built it up with brazing rod (Harris Stay-Silv 15) and was going to drill and tap for the new setscrew but it appears I didn't allow it enough cooling time, it's now so hard I can't drill it with HSS. I'm sure I could get through it with a harder drill but I'm worried I will break a tap off in there and/or run into cracking issues in the future from embrittlement. Can I fix my mistake by heating it up and allowing it a proper long cool? I could either go old-school with a torch and a bucket of sand, or put it in my heat treat oven. Thoughts? If I go the oven route can anyone advise on temperatures and times? If torch what is the target, a dull red? In that area or the entire casting? Casting is not large, maybe 12"x8" with average thickness about 1/2".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    175
    Likes (Received)
    248

    Default

    If it is the cast that got hard then put in your oven at 1250F and let cool slowly. If it is an inclusion or a slag pocket then you may have to grind it out and start over.

    Ed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    373
    Likes (Received)
    421

    Default

    I have in the past drilled an oversized hole, brazed it closed, then drilled and tapped that instead of the base metal. Works okay if you can't change the hardness of the material.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atex57 View Post
    If it is the cast that got hard then put in your oven at 1250F and let cool slowly. If it is an inclusion or a slag pocket then you may have to grind it out and start over.

    Ed.
    Thanks. The heat treat stuff I've been reading seems to say cool at 100 degrees per hour but my oven doesn't have an automatic cycle so I was thinking bring it to temp, hold for an hour, then cool about 150/hour to 600 or 700 and then bury it in sand so I don't have to keep tending it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1245
    Likes (Received)
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calderp View Post
    Thanks. The heat treat stuff I've been reading seems to say cool at 100 degrees per hour but my oven doesn't have an automatic cycle so I was thinking bring it to temp, hold for an hour, then cool about 150/hour to 600 or 700 and then bury it in sand so I don't have to keep tending it.
    Just let it cool in the oven.

  6. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    175
    Likes (Received)
    248

    Default

    1250F is below the lower critical temperature so it will not harden and does not have to be ramped down. This temp is really more of a high "tempering" temp to soften it.Cool it in the oven as Illinoyance said.

    Ed.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1078
    Likes (Received)
    2469

    Default

    I think you are going to need a higher tmep than 1250. You can try 1250, but do not be surprised or disappoointed if it has little effect. 1650 to 1750 will anneal it and what was white iron will be soft and uniform grey iron. Problem is the silver braze will melt well before that. You could weld grey iron into the defect and then anneal the part. Lots of work. Maybe you'd be better off to "cast" a new part with your welder and some steel stock. Most likely you'll be done sooner and have a much more satisfactory part if you just fab a steel replacement. If your welds are not pretty, a little bondo can make a strong but not stack of dimes weld look very nice. Paint hides a lot. Maybe not the answer you were hoping for, but a practical approach I think.

    Denis
    Last edited by dgfoster; 02-24-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Typos

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    549
    Likes (Received)
    439

    Default

    I would stick it in the oven at 1100F and let it bake for an hour. Then let it cool off naturally in the oven, overnight. Your solder has a solidus of 1190 and a liquidus of 1480.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    103

    Default

    I used to have to anneal some small cast parts that I used to sell. The thin sections would cool down to fast and be extremely hard. To anneal I would put into a furnace and take the temperature up to 1750 degrees, hold for 1/2 hour and then do a controlled cool down of 50 degrees every 1/2 hour until the temperature reached 900 degrees and then I just let it cool as fast as it could.

  11. Likes dgfoster liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    18,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calderp View Post
    I have a casting off a drill press that had a setscrew which had been overtightened and cracked off a piece of the casting. I built it up with brazing rod (Harris Stay-Silv 15) and was going to drill and tap for the new setscrew but it appears I didn't allow it enough cooling time, it's now so hard I can't drill it with HSS. I'm sure I could get through it with a harder drill but I'm worried I will break a tap off in there and/or run into cracking issues in the future from embrittlement. Can I fix my mistake by heating it up and allowing it a proper long cool? I could either go old-school with a torch and a bucket of sand, or put it in my heat treat oven. Thoughts? If I go the oven route can anyone advise on temperatures and times? If torch what is the target, a dull red? In that area or the entire casting? Casting is not large, maybe 12"x8" with average thickness about 1/2".
    WHERE on what size of DP, and for what function? So we have some idea how hard it has to work at its job.

    "On speculation" knowning nuthin' else, I'd be more concerned as to cracking again than over threads for a setscrew.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    220
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default

    You'll want to make sure your softening temperature is well below the melting point of that stay-silv.

    Harris' website shows a solidus point of 1190°f.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    26,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6032

    Default

    Some of the hardest stuff I've seen was the small cast-iron pulley housings for the double-hung widows in my 1850s vintage house.
    At one point I tried to shorten one up a bit to fit in a different window, the stuff is harder than billy goat dicks.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    988
    Likes (Received)
    1699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    the stuff is harder than billy goat dicks.
    Would you care to share with us how exactly you know this fact?

    Stuart

  16. Likes pavt, 72bwhite liked this post
  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1987
    Likes (Received)
    1939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Would you care to share with us how exactly you know this fact?

    Stuart
    Totally opened yourself up to a "Yer momma told me" on that one.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    81

    Default Slow Cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by calderp View Post
    Thanks. The heat treat stuff I've been reading seems to say cool at 100 degrees per hour but my oven doesn't have an automatic cycle so I was thinking bring it to temp, hold for an hour, then cool about 150/hour to 600 or 700 and then bury it in sand so I don't have to keep tending it.
    Get a sack of lime and bury your part in the lime to cool. It will be even slower than sand.
    Roger

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1078
    Likes (Received)
    2469

    Default

    You could bury it in something even more insulating than sand, if desired. But, it may be useful to remember that the part was originally cast in sand with 4% moisture added. I remove my cast parts from their green sand molds 4 hours or so after casting and measure the sand temp at that time. It is usually down to around 200 degrees. Given that I cast at 2580F it has cooled far faster than 100 per hour! And the grey iron parts are soft and machine (and scrape) beautifully. Heating them to an inadequate temp (1200 is too low) with very slow colling will do nothing to soften them. Heating to 1750 with cooling at 300 per hour will anneal them to buttery softness.

    Denis

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    350
    Likes (Received)
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    WHERE on what size of DP, and for what function? So we have some idea how hard it has to work at its job.

    "On speculation" knowning nuthin' else, I'd be more concerned as to cracking again than over threads for a setscrew.
    Hey, it looks like someone has hacked Thermite's account.

    Obviously, this short post (above) couldn't have been by the real Thermite.....


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •