What's new
What's new

Solberga / Arboga drill press power feed comments....

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
It's been years since I've drilled a hole with a Solberga drill but yesterday did so and impressed with the power feed mechanism. All you do is set the desired feed rate with a round dial, pull out the clutch knob at the end of the handwheel hub, lower the drill to the material..and drill. It automatically starts in power feed as soon as there is drill point pressure... and automatically releases the PF when thru the hole (or for blind holes... you pull up on handwheel or preset depth stop) Contrast this with what I previously thought was the ultimate "convenient" power feed... electromagnetic type with engage/disengage push buttons at the end of each hand spoke. The Solberga way seems even better... agree or disagree ? :gossip:

IMG_7602.jpg

Totally agree. The Solberga’s are really cool in that regard. For a long time I thought my power feed was broken then figured out I just had to use it. My Arboga is not like that. Not sure why you included them in this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been years since I've drilled a hole with a Solberga drill but yesterday did so and impressed with the power feed mechanism. All you do is set the desired feed rate with a round dial, pull out the clutch knob at the end of the handwheel hub, lower the drill to the material..and drill. It automatically starts in power feed as soon as there is drill point pressure... and automatically releases the PF when thru the hole (or for blind holes... you pull up on handwheel or preset depth stop) Contrast this with what I previously thought was the ultimate "convenient" power feed... electromagnetic type with engage/disengage push buttons at the end of each hand spoke. The Solberga way seems even better... agree or disagree ? :gossip:

View attachment 313468

I like the sound of that, very clever. Just one thing though. On occasion over here we'd run the drill in reverse and dab it into the centre punch hole to locate the drill. Then we'd run in forwards to drill the hole. Will it still feed downwards in those circumstances ? If so it could be a bit hazardous.

On the " Asquith " OD 1 Radial arm drill the spindle downfeed worked off the handwheel in a similar fashion. On an older and well worn machine if you were a bit heavy handed on the handwheel you could engage the feed when you didn't mean to. If you were centring the hole by running in reverse as I described it could give you a bit of a scare.

Regards Tyrone.

My Arboga is not like that. Not sure why you included them in this topic.
I once owned a late model (year 2000 or so) Arboga pedestal drill press that except for paint colors appeared pretty much identical to the Solberga in my photo and had the same power feed system. I'm guessing by the late 90's Solberga and Arboga were made in the same factory....but I'm not sure.

FWIW, been using these a bit more since last post and although the power feed system works amazingly well, the one downside to these Solberga's is they have no spindle brake.... which ironically is more an issue at the lowest speeds...

IMG_7684.jpg

I love those cast iron tables.

as to the E stop, dont all of them just cut power? On machines with a brake I have never seen one that operated the brake when you pushed the E stop.

FWIW, been using these a bit more since last post and although the power feed system works amazingly well, the one downside to these Solberga's is they have no spindle brake.... which ironically is more an issue at the lowest speeds...

View attachment 314369

Every drilpress ever made (and not ONLY DP's) that got many things right seems to always leave ONE thing out. And that's just "the GOOD ones".

Time for some DIY mods?

We live in a SERIOUSLY bountiful age ... for scrounging inexpensive re-purposable components to adapt to most any of those "left out" needs with minimal cost and effort.

View attachment 313468

Even the boss posts sideways photos!

push buttons on spokes: i hate them on the p50. almost break off my thumb every time.

push buttons on spokes: i hate them on the p50. almost break off my thumb every time.

I don't "freehand hold" DP stuff. Not since Ed K__ [1] sliced his belly with a square of galvanized back in HS!

Lots of vises and clamps, so I don't really mind right hand on spokes, left hand using the buttons right in front of yer face on the Alzmettal.

If I had my druther's, though:

- feed FWD/REV and maybe even rate or pressure or working/rapid (or all of the above..) by moving the spoke Left-Right for powered, or Centered for freed/manual might be OK.

- Selectable & "multi-mode" similar to a Schaublin (and not-only) "joystick" or a Cazeneuve TS capstan?

ISTR SOMEBODY has had that very sort of feed control feature for "a while" already?

Not hard to add if yah want it badly enough. Machinists make "stuff" all the time!

:D

[1] SAME GUY also leaned OVER the top of a nactive "Fisher Burner" (Bunsen on steroids!) in HS Chem lab whilst stretching to reach an Erlenmeyer flask.. and BURNT his shirt.. and belly!

My Cantonese Wife usta grab mine and make Chinese Chef knife moves as if preparing bacon or brisket.. But I got the message .. and shed the most of the belly ...before she used the actual knife ... rather than cute love-taps!

I love those cast iron tables.

as to the E stop, dont all of them just cut power? On machines with a brake I have never seen one that operated the brake when you pushed the E stop.

I have opposite experience With most motorbrakes I know the braking action comes from springs A electro magnet disengages the brake So cutting the power like in a E-stop will automaticly engage the brake
Some TOS machines have a brake that works like you discribed

Peter

Anyone know if the clutch is adjustable on these Solberga drills? Had to drill a dozen 1" holes in some 3/4 plate and sometimes the power feed would stall, I assume the clutch is slipping.

Back