What's new
What's new

solder resistant material

rjp1

Plastic
I'm searching for a good material that can be easily machined to use for a small block where soldering will be done. I am replacing block that are made of something white and almost like a bar of soap. I assume it has a great heat resistance because it's wear resistance is awful. I can scratch off a 1/6th inch with my finger nail. I know ceramic would be great but difficult to machine.

Vespel or other high temperature engineering plastics work well for this, if you have the budget. FR4 or G10 are decent but nowhere near as nice to machine.

I'm searching for a good material that can be easily machined to use for a small block where soldering will be done. I am replacing block that are made of something white and almost like a bar of soap. I assume it has a great heat resistance because it's wear resistance is awful. I can scratch off a 1/6th inch with my finger nail. I know ceramic would be great but difficult to machine.

Sounds like that block could be sal ammoniac, but I think you'd have mentioned the smell. It's for tinning soldering rons.

PTFE?
White and not much harder than bar of soap. Good to about 260C or 500F

Around 1965, jewelry supply companies sold shallow round aluminum pans filled with a coiled long narrow strip of asbestos sheet. They were used for supporting parts that were silver or gold soldered, work that was done at red heat. I think I tossed mine out once the danger of asbestos was publicized. Blocks of charcoal, also sold for the same purpose, work almost as well and are much safer. I often use fire bricks.

For soft solder (lead-tin and such that melt under about 500 degrees F) Teflon works.

Larry

I too use graphite in a number of grades. Another good material is Alumina-Silica Type UNIFORM C from Zircar. It is easily machinable and keeps good shape and dimensions. Good insulator can be used for soft or hard soldering setup.

Alumina-Silica Type UNIFORM C

If you had not said easily machined, titanium is routinely used in electronics and other industries. If lasting a long time without wear trumps easily machined but replaced often, look into having one made.

Marble. Easy to machine with carbide endmills and HSS files.
A kitchen countertop or headstone maker is a good source of small pieces. You can buy thin floor tile sat any big box store Many trophy's in the thrift stores have a marble base
Bill D.

plaster of paris, molded to suit. You will have to make sure it is very dry before use to prevent steam explosions. How about concrete?
Bill D

Back