What's new
What's new

Solid steel triangle bar stock??? anywhere???

iceman49bg

Plastic
The unlimited bounds of the internet have procured zero real possibilities for me.

I have a project that requires 1/2" thick solid steel triangle bar stock (and lots of it), and i REALLY dont want to mill feet upon feet away of square stock. Nor do i have the means to effectively band saw down the middle of square stock either....

any thoughts? All i could find was some in India with a minimum order of $2000 haha.

thanks,

Bill

That gives me an excuse to show my 3/8 triangular 5C collet, which works fine on 3/8 hex stock. I have never seen another triangular collet.

Larry

DSC00286.jpgDSC00288.jpg

you do say bar stock, so its not any precision product your looking for. Could you have it cut from sheet? depends a lot on what you need from it.

If you would narrow down your location from (united states) we might
be able to find you a local company.

Does it have to be rolled ? Look for cold drawing.

Steel ? What kind ? Temper ?

Tolerances expected ? Size, length, twist/bow ?

What are your expectations as far as order
size, price, and delivery date ?

I would look for a rolling mill of some sort, machine the appropriate groove in one roller and have at it.

That's too heavy a reduction for one roller, you'll need a train of rollers. Also, if you start with anything other than round stock you will roll a big hoop. If you can get what you need from India for only $2000 you shoulda bought it already...

As Doug said, your location does not meet minimums

Your description sucks. 1/2" tall, IC, equilateral???

What's "lots of it"? Your definition and mine are bound to be different.
JR

I dunno. "Lots of it" and "$2000 minimum -- ha!" don't really seem to go together.

Can't really see what you're making from here, but is there any chance of cutting a v-groove in whatever you're mounting it on, and using square stock? I know, probably not...

Chip

Six foot pieces would be a perfect job for someone with a planer. Set up a parting tool and a flavor of steel plate of desired thickness and start parting off. You would have to rotate the head back and forth on 60 deg. but shouldn't bee too bad.
Last, you may have to set up and straighten the pieces after they are parted. They may look like a big, long curly chip!

You doing okay? Seem awful grumpy today...

So? WTF is it to you? Can't I be grumpy if I want to?

As Chip Chester said, Lots of it and the $2K min. I almost said; "change the thread title to...." I'm waiting for the procurement pukes to get back with me on a forging price. A doughnut shaped part; 36" OD, 12" ID. 20" tall. Certs and UT in 2 1/4" chrome. I'm guessing over $11K. Procurement puke says $10K. Cost me $0.70 if I'm wrong (coffee).

Other than that, it's just another Monday.
JR

So? WTF is it to you? Can't I be grumpy if I want to?

As Chip Chester said, Lots of it and the $2K min. I almost said; "change the thread title to...." I'm waiting for the procurement pukes to get back with me on a forging price. A doughnut shaped part; 36" OD, 12" ID. 20" tall. Certs and UT in 2 1/4" chrome. I'm guessing over $11K. Procurement puke says $10K. Cost me $0.70 if I'm wrong (coffee).

Other than that, it's just another Monday.

JR

Ohhh geez.

:smitten:

Back