What's new
What's new

Some more cool tiny parts

implmex

Diamond
Hi again All:
So I've been watching in trepidation as some of you are hacking at each other about coronavirus and politics so I thought I'd post a few pix of some humanoid robot parts I've been asked to make to help get everyone's mind off their woes and grievances and back to the things that we are good at and enjoy.

These form part of a knuckle joint for a realistic robotic hand and are 6061 T651 aluminum for this prototype.
There are a gazillion parts about this size in the assembly and I'm enjoying sorting out how to make these and nibbling away on them.
Yes those are gear teeth on the ends of these parts, cut with a 0.015" diameter endmill.

Basically I just want to distract everyone from beating up on each other and get back to some semblance of a metalworking forum.
I have no questions to ask, but I invite opinions, remarks and criticisms.
Even snarky ones are good!
Just please don't bring up Trump or the virus!

Milled on a Haas Minimill and wire EDM cut from the chunks on which they were made.

You can see how I approached it; small parts like this are often best made on a bigger handle so you have something to hold onto and squeeze in the vise without trashing the parts.
The wire makes a great but expensive glorified electric cutoff bandsaw, and it can cut around contours real nice!

Obviously not deburred and finished yet, but otherwise complete.
The tapped holes are M1 x 0.25 and there are two 6mm OD ball bearings that get clamped between the two parts.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Attachments

• DSCN5065.jpg
    DSCN5065.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN5066.jpg
    DSCN5066.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN5067.jpg
    DSCN5067.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN5068.jpg
    DSCN5068.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 244
if I was a little bit closer, I'd offer to anodize them for you, have experience with small parts :)

difficult to see in the pic, but there is a threaded hole on the tiny boss:
20200203_210638.jpg

Sweet. Was gonna ask if you could post pics but figured it was proprietary or something.

Ya, the virus is starting to get to people bad, I've got a project going in the shop and haven't seemed to mind not going out in five weeks.

Would love to see more as you get time!

Back