What's new
What's new

SOmetimes, you just have to say, "What the heck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Hoy

Plastic
I will likely be pilloried for this comment. But I have been thrown out of some pretty good bars. (One specifically in Boston for insulting Ted Kennedy.)

I have had zero in the way of formal training in machine-work. The only things I know come from the scrap I produce and the reading I do.

I started using a milling machine about 20 years ago for gun-smithing, ship modelling and general stuff. I started with one then a second machine from Grizzly that were the combination mill and lathe. (translation, not much of a mill but don't worry because you also get not much of a lathe). I wound up with a Grizzly 10 x 22 lathe which I liked but I thought it wore out to quickly. Also had a "Wholesale Tools" 2 HP milling machine. I bought this machine for 400.00 and it was old (prolly made in about 1990)and loose. But I made it work. We moved to Naples, FL which meant that the machines had be replaced.

The Grizzly went by way of a South Bend. The Wholesale Tools 2 hp mill was replaced with a Central Machine 2 hp mill. This mill is a dead ringer for the Wholesale Tools job. It is about three years old and still in great shape. The last owner added a DRO.

When I was looking for a Mill I had just about decided on the Grizzly version of this mill. Would have come to 2200.00 delivered. I bought the Central Machine mill for 1,000.00 including the base, and the DRO.

I know that Central Machine stuff is limited in quality and not overly popular. But it seems like every tool distributor out there has a mill that is based upon this Platform.

I did some stuff with it today and I am satisfied. Prolly because I am not smart enough about milling and mills to recognize the limitations.

I'd be happy for your comments either way.

Tnx,

Doc

wow, almost every non-discussable machine possible.
if you had mentioned Atlas, you would have hit the grand slam of lockable threads....right down to the title even.

Kudos.

Really, there are places to discuss such enterprises as contained in the op. Hobby tool sites.

Just not here....I hope.

To be Reduce to the lowest common denominator is not why I participate this forum.

I did some stuff with it today and I am satisfied. Prolly because I am not smart enough about milling and mills to recognize the limitations.

I'd be happy for your comments either way.

So what your question really is.. "I'm happy with the Mexican Ditch weed, but is that hydro stuff from California really that much better"...

The answer is YES, YES it is..

Though, my opinion is, that if you've never had the mexican ditch weed (grizzly, clapped out Atlas or Southbend) then you don't ever realize that the little black plastic container that contains "caviar" is REALLY REALLY good, you just think its normal..

Working on limited clapped out machines with garbage tools, I think should be part of every machinist training.. Because if you can make good parts on crap machines, then you are going to be a fricken SuperStar when you get your hands on the good stuff, and it will seem SOOOO easy..

And then when you do have to do that really tricky tight tolerance stuff, you'll know how to do it, you've already done it... trying to hold a normal tolerance on a POS machine.

Its a learning experience.. you'll be better for it in the end.

So, the usual thing is to ask an actual question.

Not: I've bought crap tools and been happy with them. Making scrap and reading along the way. I'll probably be pilloried, but comments??

I'd say it's an artful bit of trolling, if that was your intention.

grizzly is just to good a machine so I went with floor sweepings seconds from harbor freight, the dro shows no backlash.
My head hurts, and I am not a machinist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back