What's new
What's new

Somewhat OT -- standard for HDD platter dimensions

specfab

Titanium
I am looking for some information that is contained in one of the IDEMA standards, specifically, the sizes and tolerances for HDD platters. I believe this is info contained in IDEMA standard D2-91. For reference purposes, IDEMA is the non-profit standards organization that coordinates standardization for HDD manufacturers. (International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials Association, as formal ID).

My specific interest is in 48, 65, and 95 mm disks, with respect to all dimensional data presented in that standard, so I can build some disk-holding fixtures for R&D. I formerly had the standard, but that was another time, another company. I'm obviously trying to avoid buying it if I can. If anyone has this info at hand and can make a copy of the few pages involved, that would be immensely helpful. Thanks --

I think he’s looking for the edge profile specs.
Platters are handled on the edges and that interface is tightly controlled.
I, also, no longer have access to the document...even though I have a 65mm PEEK handling tool in the box of bits.

ChrisP, thanks for the potential info. It's too small a doc image for me to actually read it, though. If you can email it that would be great. I'll send you my email via PM.

Miguels244, Yes, I am also interested in edge roll-off which is contained in that spec document, but my primary concerns at the moment are the more basic ID/OD/thkns dimensions with associated tolerances.

ChrisP, thanks for the potential info. It's too small a doc image for me to actually read it, though. If you can email it that would be great. I'll send you my email via PM.

Miguels244, Yes, I am also interested in edge roll-off which is contained in that spec document, but my primary concerns at the moment are the more basic ID/OD/thkns dimensions with associated tolerances.

That information used to be easy to find.
I think when the industry moved to China the tool makers did as well.
If you have a contact at Entagris they might be able to hook you up.
AFAI can see they are the last USA based tool makers, and they only make containers.

Back