What's new
What's new

sourc for extra deep socket

Bill D

Diamond
I need to find a 1+1/4 inch extra deep socket. It has to have at least 5.25 inches depth internal. All the extra deep sockets I can find are about 5 inches long on the outside. I do not think plumbers tube wrenches would take enough torque to do the job. They aslo seem to miss the size I need. I suppose I will have to cut and weld something together from pipe.
There are 12" long sockets made that are 3/4 size for truck brake work of some sort. half the catalogs do not even list the length just a generic statement that it is extra deep.
Bil lD

When I need that I modify and weld 2 deep sockets together, or do the tubing trick. Using 2 different size sockets can make it easier depending on the needs of the application.

I've done that quite a few times...

Just when we're starting to have fun with DIY ideas somebody has to come up with a professional solution,,,:eek:

Worse challenge, that size, is when I bought my US & Metric, plain and "flare nut" "crowfoot" wrenches. Usual POS Snap-On until I could get the good stuff, but it didn't break.

Welding works a treat, even gnarly old 1970's Dayton El Cheapo AC stick.

Just start with Black Oxided six-point "impact" goods. Not Chromed 12-pointers.

2CW

Snap on makes a tie rod removal socket that would likely work for you YA300D kind of pricey for a one time job. Many years ago I used to do lots of tie rods on Ford Tempos and still have in my tool box a foot long 1 3/16 socket. It turned a miserable job with no access into a quick in and out

No, thar's a ''just spend money'' solution ……………….. which any idiot can do.

Be fair. It isn't LIMITED to idiots, is it?

Quite often a wise option to spend a hundred with "others" than take yer sole and only lone self off earning two hundred to do a fifty-quid tasking needed to save ten quid worth of junk from becoming ONE quid worth of scrap Iron.

"Just because you CAN."

GOOD wrenches, wisely utilized, can last more than just the ONE lifetime, by contrast.

Just when we're starting to have fun with DIY ideas somebody has to come up with a professional solution,,,:eek:

Umm, I'm not half the machinist anyone here is, and it's been years since I welded anything (and that was oxyacetylene!). But the "professional solution",,,,

looks like someone welded a socket and a drive to a pipe.

Snap on makes a tie rod removal socket that would likely work for you YA300D kind of pricey for a one time job. Many years ago I used to do lots of tie rods on Ford Tempos and still have in my tool box a foot long 1 3/16 socket. It turned a miserable job with no access into a quick in and out

And of course it's the "fix or repair daily" brand. If I never work another Ford it'll be to soon.....

Umm, I'm not half the machinist anyone here is, and it's been years since I welded anything (and that was oxyacetylene!). But the "professional solution",,,,

looks like someone welded a socket and a drive to a pipe.

Works better than welding a socket and drive to an anvil, asphalt road, or a fog bank. Nuisance to position any of those "just so."

What's unprofessional about THAT?

I made an 18” deep 1-1/4” socket a few years ago. I put a socket in the lathe and split it with a parting tool. Then pressed the ends into a piece of tight fitting seamless tubing leaving about 3/8” sticking out to give me plenty of room to lay a nice bead around it. Looks great and works awesome. I use it for running nuts on a spring tensioner rod

Turns out I do not need the socket at all. The instructions made little sense after more thought. They said to install a ball bearing and press it almost all the way down the shaft. Then install the shaft and reach in with a extra deep socket and tighten it a few turns to set the bearing. instead I pressed it down all the way and tightened the locking nut on the bench and then installed the complete assembly.
Bil lD

Back