What's new
What's new

source for 17-4 h900

cmccull166

Hot Rolled
Hello all
Nothing at Yarde , penn stainless quoted 500.00 lb... Im thinking there's a misunderstanding.
I only need 3 lb flat.
Anyone ???

17-4 in flat bar isn't the easiest thing to find.. 17-4 flat bar already heat treated is
even harder to find.. McMaster carr. 1"x1" x 3ft, about $120 not hardened.. Almost $400
already hardened... That's F'n ridiculous.

Heat treating 17-4 is just about the cheapest and easiest heat treat in the world, just
buy the bar and get it heat treated. Should be somewhere close to free, plus shipping.
Might even be able to do an H900 with the cleaning cycle in your oven.

The other thing.. You can get round bar in an H900 pretty easily and not at staggering
cost... is it something that can be made with some squared up round bar???

Edit: Why do some places put square bar and rectangular bar in 2 totally separate
categories?? Why can't they just put it all in rectangular and start the 1/2" thick
stuff at 1/2" wide, and the 1" thick stuff at 1" wide... BUT NOOOOOO!!! got to
go to a totally different category.

17-4 in flat bar isn't the easiest thing to find.. 17-4 flat bar already heat treated is
even harder to find.. McMaster carr. 1"x1" x 3ft, about $120 not hardened.. Almost $400
already hardened... That's F'n ridiculous.

Heat treating 17-4 is just about the cheapest and easiest heat treat in the world, just
buy the bar and get it heat treated. Should be somewhere close to free, plus shipping.
Might even be able to do an H900 with the cleaning cycle in your oven.

The other thing.. You can get round bar in an H900 pretty easily and not at staggering
cost... is it something that can be made with some squared up round bar???

Edit: Why do some places put square bar and rectangular bar in 2 totally separate
categories?? Why can't they just put it all in rectangular and start the 1/2" thick
stuff at 1/2" wide, and the 1" thick stuff at 1" wide... BUT NOOOOOO!!! got to
go to a totally different category.

Thank you Bob
I will just order and have it HT to spec

I've had very good luck buying this from EMJ (Jorgensen) Metals. Fry quoted about double the price. The current stuff is from Italy. Local place turns it around in a couple of days for heat treating.

Back