Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IWUP View Post
    Can you post a follow up if you decide to go this route?
    Thanks
    I have the TiCN Form taps coming in tomorrow. With a number 33 drill. Says it will give me 67.5%-70% threads. I have about 5000 more of these to make. I will gladly update.

I did get the material from a different supplier. It did cross my mind that this batch might not be as soft.

I run Brown and Sharpe screw machines. Every time I order stainless I always go with "L". Lately it has almost all been 316L. I havent seen 304 in a few years and only a couple small jobs were 303. No drilling on the 303 either.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post

I run Brown and Sharpe screw machines. Every time I order stainless I always go with "L". Lately it has almost all been 316L. I havent seen 304 in a few years and only a couple small jobs were 303. No drilling on the 303 either.
    You may not be aware that the "L" when used in a grade of stainless denotes low carbon. It is recommended for parts that are to be welded as it reduces carbide precipitation in the weld zone to maintain corrosion resistance.

5. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, Cole2534 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    You may not be aware that the "L" when used in a grade of stainless denotes low carbon. It is recommended for parts that are to be welded as it reduces carbide precipitation in the weld zone to maintain corrosion resistance.
    Lower carbon content makes the material easier to machine as well. Every grade of 300 series Stainless that I have machined over the years have given me way better results when I order "L". Its just from experience so I have determined to always machine those grades when I have a chance.

The parts are also welded in the next process.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the form taps in today and got a good 2 hour run with them. no problems at all. ran great for almost 200 parts.

I will run this all day tomorrow and see if I can get 700 holes tapped. I feel so relieved now.

8. Likes MrWhoopee, IWUP, camscan, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ran all day today. Not a problem at all. Even ran unattended most of the day.

10. Likes MrWhoopee, gustafson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume that you used the same cam. If so I would stay with that cam,a day with no problems is the only way to fly. Cycle time is never important,what is in the bucket at the end of the day is important.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice, congrats

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I assume that you used the same cam. If so I would stay with that cam,a day with no problems is the only way to fly. Cycle time is never important,what is in the bucket at the end of the day is important.
    When I ran it 8 months ago I had it on a 50 second cam and it worked great. I know there was some wasted time on it but it worked so I just went with it and let it run. This time I couldnt get it to run the same. I switched from an OG to a OO and had a different cam that I have at 36 seconds. Still didnt run with cut taps so I tried the form taps and got great results. I could probably run it a little faster but since its running good now and its making 100 parts an hour I am more than happy with it. Didnt have to sharpen any tools in 10 hours of run time.

5000 more parts in 50 hours is not bad at all. Running damn near unattended. I check it every 30 min and dont need to touch anything. Not really heard of when running stainless. I can run the mating part at the same time which is nice.

I can lap the tits off while the machine runs and this saves lots of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=DanASM;3443273

I can lap the tits off while the machine runs and this saves lots of time.[/QUOTE]

Can you not pick up and de-burr, with a slitting saw? I have do e this successfully.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you not pick up and de-burr, with a slitting saw? I have do e this successfully.
    I have never tried. I dont have a pick off attachment on my OO. I have 1 on a 2G and 1 on an OG. The OG is a dedicated job thats slotted. The 2G one came with the machine I recently bought. I just took it off and its on the shelf for the time being.

I like the idea but have not had the chance to try it yet. This customer has given me about 7-8 316SS jobs from .125-.187 and one at .375. I should look into this more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never tried. I dont have a pick off attachment on my OO. I have 1 on a 2G and 1 on an OG. The OG is a dedicated job thats slotted. The 2G one came with the machine I recently bought. I just took it off and its on the shelf for the time being.

I like the idea but have not had the chance to try it yet. This customer has given me about 7-8 316SS jobs from .125-.187 and one at .375. I should look into this more.
    When/if you do try it try reversing the saw,it won't cut, which is good, but it does knock the tit off. I don't mean reversing the motor,just turn the saw over.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When/if you do try it try reversing the saw,it won't cut, which is good, but it does knock the tit off. I don't mean reversing the motor,just turn the saw over.
    I do have a deburring wheel that I chuck up on a lathe to deburr some rods. I have seen this same wheel used on these attachments. My old man told me they can/are used for deburring on the machine like you said. I also noticed on ebay there is an attachment for 200 bucks for the OO. I should grab it at some point.

I had bid on a brass job that was formed, drilled/tapped and slotted. It would have gone on the "OO". I was told my bid on 25k parts was very competitive but the 50k qty was lower elsewhere so they went that route. It was a brass job too. Would have been nice to play with. I quoted it at like .11-.13 cents I believe.

I find any quantities up to 10k parts are in my wheelhouse. Davenports take my work up to 5/8" when quantities are over 10k. As soon as I get .750"-1.50" I can get pretty much any quantity I want to bid on. If I can machine complete I can get more work done due to lack of experienced set up people for the Brown and Sharpes. I had an employee break her ankle and require 3 surgeries in the last 6 months and it has me doing more 2nd op work than I care to do. It takes me away from setting up other jobs that could be running.

The best/worst part is the work keeps coming in faster than I can get it out the door. All my swiss shops are backed up 4-6 months as well. I havent seen this much work available in my 30 years in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Screwmachine View Post
    Is it the same batch of steel? I've seen pretty massive differences in 316L bar from different suppliers. Some is pretty nice, some is pretty nightmarish.
    Same thing with 304 quality varies. I think the Chinese has invaded the 304/316 market with junk stock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Same thing with 304 quality varies. I think the Chinese has invaded the 304/316 market with junk stock.
    I had a Stainless rep in here last week who says he is from the 2nd biggest Stainless mill globally. They didnt have a problem selling me small quantities either. I am leaning on trying them out to see if I can get some more regularity. I think it was a german name but they did have a mill in the states.

SCHMOLZ + BICKENBACH USA: SALES + SERVICES USA here it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do have a deburring wheel that I chuck up on a lathe to deburr some rods. I have seen this same wheel used on these attachments. My old man told me they can/are used for deburring on the machine like you said. I also noticed on ebay there is an attachment for 200 bucks for the OO. I should grab it at some point.

I had bid on a brass job that was formed, drilled/tapped and slotted. It would have gone on the "OO". I was told my bid on 25k parts was very competitive but the 50k qty was lower elsewhere so they went that route. It was a brass job too. Would have been nice to play with. I quoted it at like .11-.13 cents I believe.

I find any quantities up to 10k parts are in my wheelhouse. Davenports take my work up to 5/8" when quantities are over 10k. As soon as I get .750"-1.50" I can get pretty much any quantity I want to bid on. If I can machine complete I can get more work done due to lack of experienced set up people for the Brown and Sharpes. I had an employee break her ankle and require 3 surgeries in the last 6 months and it has me doing more 2nd op work than I care to do. It takes me away from setting up other jobs that could be running.

The best/worst part is the work keeps coming in faster than I can get it out the door. All my swiss shops are backed up 4-6 months as well. I havent seen this much work available in my 30 years in business.
    Do you do any 2 op on your B&S? Get it right and walk away.
    Perhaps you should get that pick up unit before somebody beats you to it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you do any 2 op on your B&S? Get it right and walk away.
    Perhaps you should get that pick up unit before somebody beats you to it.
    Only a slotting attachment for a dedicated job. Most of my work doesnt need 2nd op. Only Stainless needs lapping.

I have been interested in thread rolling lately. I like the idea of a vertical thread rolling machine to handle fittings of all sorts.

With the occasional milling of a few flats on parts in lower quantities I dont see much need for 2nd op. I did have to chamfer some of these SS parts today cause a tool moved on the machine but thats pretty much it for 2nd op.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finished the job with 1 form tap which ran another 6000 parts. 1 drill which got black pretty bad but still made cuts and still didnt break. All said and done I used 1 drill and 1 form tap to run 6k parts. .375 hole, .300 tap depth.

Thanks for the help everyone. use this data wisely my friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finished the job with 1 form tap which ran another 6000 parts. 1 drill which got black pretty bad but still made cuts and still didnt break. All said and done I used 1 drill and 1 form tap to run 6k parts. .375 hole, .300 tap depth.

Thanks for the help everyone. use this data wisely my friends.
    Really great when people come back with news, good or bad.