What's new
What's new

A source for half decent hand files?

PaulT

Stainless
Some of the hand files I've had for a zillion years are getting a little tired so I tried to order some new ones, Nicholson, replacing the ones I had.

Popping them out of the box, uh oh, Made in Mexico, well maybe they're still ok.

The surfaces look ok but sighting down the end leads to major depression, they're both pretty warped.

I was able to bend on the 10" one and got it at least approximately flat, but not as good as my old one.

The 6" one of course snapped in 3 pieces when I tried to straighten it.

Does anybody have a source for a better made file brand?

I like the mill shape ones but McMaster doesn't even list that type.

If you can't even buy a half decent hand file anymore I'm definitely going to hang it up and just open a hot dog cart.

Thanks,

Paul T.
Power Technology

Chazz, thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at Apex.

Actually as far as McMaster goes, they do sell the "mill" type files, they just call them "single cut tapered edge".

Has anybody ordered a file from McMaster recently and can you tell me what brand they are and if they were any good?

Thanks,

Paul T.
Power Technology

... so I tried to order some new ones, Nicholson, replacing the ones I had.

Popping them out of the box, uh oh, Made in Mexico, well maybe they're still ok.

The surfaces look ok but sighting down the end leads to major depression,
they're both pretty warped.
What do you think about going through the exercise of submitting a comment
to Apex/Nicholson about your experience?

'Our Leadership'

Steve Breitzka - President and Chief Executive Officer
John P. Constantine, President, North American Hand Tools​

Maybe '[email protected]' ?

20 years ago of I worked for a place where myself and the guy I worked with would regularly go through a box of 6" nicholson files in a couple of days. We would always sight down the files to find the bow to the file. Most of them had a bow. We would only use the convex side as we were filing spot repairs on large chromed cylinders and we didn't want to risk scratching with the ends of the files. I suspect they have always had a bow at least in the smaller sizes.

20 years ago of I worked for a place where myself and the guy I worked with would regularly go through a box of 6" nicholson files in a couple of days. We would always sight down the files to find the bow to the file. Most of them had a bow. We would only use the convex side as we were filing spot repairs on large chromed cylinders and we didn't want to risk scratching with the ends of the files. I suspect they have always had a bow at least in the smaller sizes.

Just to make sure I wasn't expecting too much, I went and sighted down the end all my old Nicholson files. They are all totally flat to the eyeball but they are all 10" and above so maybe the shorter and thus thinner ones are more prone to have a bow.

In the "mill" style I'm after, MSC only shows the Nicholson and Simonds brands, with the Simonds actually being a little cheaper.

Does anyone have experience with a recent version of one of these Simonds brand files? At that price I'm assuming they must be imported also. But if they are flat, I guess I could live with them.

I'm going to call McMaster and find out what file brand they sell. I've got a feeling its going to be Nicholson so I'm probably just going around in a circle. This sucks, sometimes I wish I was born 50 years ago.

Paul T.
Power Technology

You're right, MSC doesn't carry the Grobet American pattern files.

Reid tool has them:

Files

Edit: you have the choice of American or Swiss pattern on the upper left sidebar.

I think that if it is Grobet, it is Swiss. I think they have another name for their import files (Hablis?).

Grobet USA files are made in INDIA. How they can call them USA,I don't know. Avoid them. Bahco files are still good. So are Vallorbe. Google where to get them. They are Swiss made in Vallorbe,Switzerland. They are also sold on Amazon.

Back