What's new
What's new

Source for Involute Gear Cutters

everettengr

Aluminum
A while back I purchased a few gear cutters from someone on this forum and can't seem to find his contact info. He had buckets full of used cutters at a great price.
I need to repair a few gears and need an additional few more in the 16DP, 14.5PA range.
Can anyone suggest a source for used gear cutters other than fleebay.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.
As stated in my OP, I am looking for used and try to avoid ebay.
I did not look a all of your 15 million results, but did review many do not find anyone from PM selling used.
Hence, my post here.

I realize this is an old thread but I am looking for a Bevel Gear Cutter. # 5 8DP. MSC sent me to Toolmex who sent me a regular involute cutter because they didn't understand what I needed. Ebay has every cutter but the #5-8DP. Anyone know here you can buy bevel gear cutters for a horizontal mill? Google has so far turned up nothing and I really don't want to spend all day using Law's button method to make a cutter that may be available for $50.00.

OK ..It was me !

A while back I purchased a few gear cutters from someone on this forum and can't seem to find his contact info. He had buckets full of used cutters at a great price.
I need to repair a few gears and need an additional few more in the 16DP, 14.5PA range.
Can anyone suggest a source for used gear cutters other than fleebay.
Thank you.

I hadn't been on this site in a while..
I still have a bucket over flow ..Split the plastic bucket.

And another member needed a bevel gear cutter
I have them in our "bank"

Robbie
Robbie's Machine Service
Brooksville Fla.

I realize this is an old thread but I am looking for a Bevel Gear Cutter. # 5 8DP. MSC sent me to Toolmex who sent me a regular involute cutter because they didn't understand what I needed. Ebay has every cutter but the #5-8DP. Anyone know here you can buy bevel gear cutters for a horizontal mill? Google has so far turned up nothing and I really don't want to spend all day using Law's button method to make a cutter that may be available for $50.00.

I don't believe there is a "bevel gear cutter" as such. Most are generated. However, there are procedures written to cut bevel gears. Remember that the size of the tooth is not constant from the center to the outside.

Tom

Using the correct math formula, I believe the procedure is to "Roll the blank" and offset the table to cut parallel bevel gears.

Ideally, you would want a Octoid tooth form on a bevel gear. You would need a special machine to cut the teeth.

I realize this is an old thread but I am looking for a Bevel Gear Cutter. # 5 8DP. MSC sent me to Toolmex who sent me a regular involute cutter because they didn't understand what I needed. Ebay has every cutter but the #5-8DP. Anyone know here you can buy bevel gear cutters for a horizontal mill?
Sam A. Mesher Tool in Portland, OR, has a shelf full of WW 2 vintage milling cutters. The last time I pawed through their stash, several years ago, it seemed the majority were bevel gear cutters (probably why those were the cutters left in the stash!). You might give them a call and see if they have that particular cutter. It definitely will not be listed online.

I don't believe there is a "bevel gear cutter" as such. Most are generated.
About 50 years ago, it was reasonably common to make cutters of narrower tooth width (space on the gear) but standard tooth side profile for cutting bevel gears. The cutter profile is sized for the inner diameter of the bevel gear face, and the bevel gear is cut in two passes with a slight angular shift and compensating linear offset so the inner diameter space is not affected but the outer diameter space is widened by the second pass.

The results are not as good as true generation, but quite servicable for several generations of machinery and machinists.

I don't believe there is a "bevel gear cutter" as such. Most are generated. However, there are procedures written to cut bevel gears. Remember that the size of the tooth is not constant from the center to the outside.

Tom

There IS a form tool cutter made for that. The form is thinner, to allow swinging to the side angles and cutting without messing up the toothspaces. I have a couple of them, naturally NOT the ones I needed for any of the bevel gears I have cut on the mill.

As everyone knows, the form cut type are not perfect at all and need some "adjustment" to work acceptably. But thay can work

There are involute form bevel gear cutters for different pitch and number of teeth.

Otherwise:
Selection.jpgTable 1 of 2 .jpgTable 2 of 2 .jpgSet Over.jpgSet Over Illustration.jpg
There is a way to calculate for the correct involute cutter to use.
The set over can be calculated but can get a little sticky.
Trial and error till the large end is correct at the pitch lie is also used.
John

Right, Tom. What that article did not explicitly say (or if it did, I missed it) is that the procedure was frequently followed using non-standard involute cutters that cut narrower tooth spaces than standard spur gear cutters. Frequently, certainly not always.

These special bevel gear cutters were typically sized to cut a face width between 1/8 and 1/3 of the full cone width. So the tooth right- and left-side profiles would be correct for a spur gear of the full cone diameter and the nominal pitch, but the width of the tooth would be appropriate for a spur gear of 2/3 of the full cone diameter. If the gear face is narrower than 1/8 the full cone diameter, you'd just use a standard spur gear cutter. These non-standard bevel gear cutters are marked just like spur gear cutters, with #1-8 and pitch, plus "Bevel" or some abbreviation thereof. They give better results than spur gear cutters for somewhat wider, but not arbitrary, bevel gear face widths.

Personally, if I were cutting one pair of bevel gears in my own shop, not equipped with anything more sophisticated than a dividing head for gear cutting, I would use the equal/parallel depth method.

Most of the articles I have read mention the need for two different cutters. Page 4-102 mentions the requirements of the cutters. I found the same notation in the Machinery's Handbook. Both cover the roll and setover method.

Unless one wants to invest in some very specific and expensive machines and tooling, we will have to be satisfied with these methods.

Tom

Posting a photo of a new in the box Bevel gear cutter resting on a booklet published by The Cincinnati Milling Machine Company in 1952.
The booklet has a section on bevel gear cutting and a few of the pages posted by Tom are also in the booklet.
NIB Bevel Gear.jpg
John

Not to get away from how to cut the gear but I tried Robbie's machine shop, ash gear, mesher, toolmex, msc, and all the places that they recommended. I am thinking I may be best off with law's buttons and a cleanup on a radiused grinding wheel. Does anyone else have any leads on some surplus bevel gear cutters? Thanks.

Back