What's new
What's new

Source for Involute Spline Cutter Supplier Manufacturer

stroker

Hot Rolled
Hi, can anyone help me with a sourcing problem I have for spline milling cutters. I have a requirement to produce low volume ANSI B92.1 -1970 splined shafts as follows.

16/32 DP, 24T, 30°P.A. Flat Root Side Fit

24/48DP, 31T, 45°P.A. Fillet Root Side Fit

Vargus appear to be a major U.S. supplier and although they look great, my volumes are way too low, (only about 6 P.A. of each type).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Second vote for Ash. That said, for 6 pieces, you might consider farming it out. An acquaintance is in Perth and they do top notch work, reasonably. I know it's a little more than 2.5Km, but shipping is simple. Look up Mike at WA Gears. If you're not open to that, Mike might have a more geographically closer source for the cutters, too. Good luck.

Sounds like car axles............about a dozen crowds here cutting rolled axle splines wouldnt know what an involute was....and neither would their customers.......they just cut them with an angle cutter so as they fit in the diff.

I should not start this fire but what the heck.
In car axle or trans splines is there a big performance difference between cut and rolled.
I know rolled is fast if doing volumes and there is the flow/stress thing but any real world difference or experience?
Either more accurate around the circle or shape?
I know that rolled is a big investment in dies that are easy to wreck and a true pain to setup. Min/max, effectives, incoming dia and steel heat batch all trying to mess with you.
It can be a nightmare with 5-10 engineers and managers standing around giving opinions and obviously not understanding the process where I needed to make and ship parts to the next op.:wall:
Is it a better spline under high load or miles due to forming or just a faster method?

I have never seen real fatigue cycle test numbers against the two but people I have known tell me one works much better but perhaps a bias to what they have and do.
I once thought such features simple and straightforward. Now I find that even staff who ship millions do not really know a lot about the functional details.
Worse yet is that often they don't care. It fits, ship it.
Bob

Carbide Bob.....guys with hot cars fit a new set of axles,do one out of controll burnout ,mount the curb and bend both axles..or rip one clean out of the housing.....does the durability of rolled splines enter the picture......?

Axles in hot drag cars (or all cars) need to flex in the middle, wind up and it is controllable by size and heat treat. Stiff is not always good here. Same is done with the driveshaft on RWD as it is a system.
Often racers will have different driveshafts or axles for differing tracks. That is the game at the high end.
Splines are a different problem. I think them a very rare failure problem but I've seen it.
Most spline problems in production are by far fit and won't assemble. You get this lesson real fast in the auto world and run your parts on the way low side or even under spec.
That is bad but it keeps your job.
Race car stuff is usually cut, production car stuff is normally rolled. I here talk both ways.
Bob

Sounds like car axles............about a dozen crowds here cutting rolled axle splines wouldnt know what an involute was....and neither would their customers.......they just cut them with an angle cutter so as they fit in the diff.
You're not wrong there John.k and samples I've seen confirm that! (Filed/hand stoned tip relief is a giveaway!)

In a car factory you send off a set every shift or day to the lab.
Here they slam them back an forth until they fail. The test does not end until failure and you then have a number of cycles until it does.
Given enough stress and cycles eventually everything will fail and these test machines are brutal to the point of being insane.
If this number is under the limit everything made since the last good test is quarantined in the hold area. :(
Standard QC for axles.
If you are not making millions of axles you don't have this mega buck testing so how to know how good for a smaller place?
An axle for a Hellcat and a Chevy Cruze surely must take a different beating in use although in the additional final assembly test the CV housings normally give up the ghost first.
Trans shaft tests don't have this weak link.

People so underrate how hard it is to make a good axle or trans spline, it looks so easy and straightforward but it is the hard and so fussy part of the shaft.
Bob

Back