What's new
What's new

Source for piloted counter sinks

Larry Dickman

Titanium
at a place I used to work, we had a bunch of piloted counter sinks. Looked exactly like a counter bore, but with an 82 deg angle for flat head screws.

I've looked high and low, but can't even find anyone who knows what I'm talking about. They can't be that esoteric, anyone seen them?

From memory, I think the ones I have are by Weldon. I have some fluteless ones with pilots and some small size two flute with pilots that match some countersinks I have. I have had mine for several decades.

41/64" Head Diam, 3/8" Shank Diam, 82deg 02542264 - MSC

I see Weldon tools for sale, but no Weldon Tool Co. website. I found an address for them, but the building has a different company name on the sign and was for sale in July, 2017. I wonder if this is another old USA name that is now put on imported goods.

Larry

From memory, I think the ones I have are by Weldon. I have some fluteless ones with pilots and some small size two flute with pilots that match some countersinks I have. I have had mine for several decades.

41/64" Head Diam, 3/8" Shank Diam, 82deg 02542264 - MSC

I see Weldon tools for sale, but no Weldon Tool Co. website. I found an address for them, but the building has a different company name on the sign and was for sale in July, 2017. I wonder if this is another old USA name that is now put on imported goods.

Larry

Thanks, I just ordered one to see how it goes.

I have a set of piloted countersinks for socket head flat heads that run from #6 to 1/2". They were made by Cleveland. I too have looked high and low for new ones and they don't seem to exist.

The style Larry linked doesn't seem to have a cutting feature on the pilot like the Cleveland ones do, and the size called out for max hole diameter looks like it won't allow for any recess to be achieved as that diameter is smaller than the screw head diameter for a 3/8" socket head flat head screw.

I can't imagine why these things disappeared from the marketplace.

Stuart

I know they are very common in aircraft sheet-metal work but IIRC, common angle in aircraft sheet-metal is 100 degree (vs the 82 you mentioned).

In aircraft work they have a tool (I'm familiar with the ones made by Brown Tool) that automatically sets the depth. You set it it up, countersink some test-parts and adjust the depth-gauge, then all you have to do from that point forward is clamp the whole thing in your drill chuck and push down into the match-drilled hole in the sheet-metal and the depth-gauge (non-rotating) will not allow it to cut any deeper and it won't mar the surface of the sheet. Pretty handy devices if you want uniform depth.

See here for more: USED / SURPLUS ATI / Snap-On(R) Industrial Brands Heavy-Duty Countersink Cage | Brown Aviation & Aircraft Tools

I know they are very common in aircraft sheet-metal work but IIRC, common angle in aircraft sheet-metal is 100 degree (vs the 82 you mentioned).

In aircraft work they have a tool (I'm familiar with the ones made by Brown Tool) that automatically sets the depth. You set it it up, countersink some test-parts and adjust the depth-gauge, then all you have to do from that point forward is clamp the whole thing in your drill chuck and push down into the match-drilled hole in the sheet-metal and the depth-gauge (non-rotating) will not allow it to cut any deeper and it won't mar the surface of the sheet. Pretty handy devices if you want uniform depth.

See here for more: USED / SURPLUS ATI / Snap-On(R) Industrial Brands Heavy-Duty Countersink Cage | Brown Aviation & Aircraft Tools

Called an aircraft countersink cage. Aircraft sheet metal is 100 degree countersinks. They can be found at 82 degrees. Search ebay for threaded countersink include 82 in the description. Brown aviation is a source for aviation tools. Common make is Magnavon. 1/4-28 is most common drive size. there is also a 3/8 size for bigger bits.
Also look at rivet shavers if you already have the cage.
I believe each click of adjustment is 1/1000 inch of depth
Bill D.

Brown Aviation & Aircraft Tools

Brown Aviation & Aircraft Tools

Back