What's new
What's new

source for shallow grooved drawer dividers?

dsergison

Diamond
I am looking to buy these. I can only find this one picture online but I have not been able to find anything like it for sale.

I need something with lots of shallow grooves to keep end mills from rattling against each other.
TapTrays.jpg

I'm aware of the custom routed wood option
tooldrawer02.jpg

I've been searching for some time.

I just got a few vidmar cabinets myself and have been thinking the same thing. Mostly for small drill bits where they will be likely to get under the dividers. A few thoughts I had were to buy some cheap plastic sheeting 3/4" or 1" thick and cut grooves into it myself. Seems like HDPE which I think may be available cheap from recycled milk jugs. Also I have been looking at what the crafters use and see what they have.

I use v-grooved acoustical foam panels I snagged off craigslist. Paid about $50 for a Suburban-full. Used a dozen in the shop, and the balance will go to the man cave for (gasp) actual acoustical treatment.

A ball-nose mill and a stack of surplus plastic cutting boards would make a good apprentice project. The 2x2 hard foam interlocking floor tiles would probably mill up just fine, too. Scary sharp tools & high rpm for that, probably.

Chip

Here's the source of the ones in your first picture.

Tap Trays

Notice the smilarity to my suggestion in post #5...
As in, they made them instead of buying them.
They will probably make you some, too! :)

Chip

These trays give you a lot of layout flexibility, I leave tools in their sleeves to prevent banging together:

Schaller Corporation - Red Plastic Boxes, Organize Your Workspace

You can find Schaller products on Ebay and the web for more purchasing choices. An Ebay search for "Jewelry Tray Parts Storage" (no quotes) will get you some different options for dividers. Play with the search terms for more.

I just ordered a bunch of these last week. Price is right... Haven't gotten them yet tho...

I use this stuff:

Top-Plastic-Vinyl-Carpet-Protector.jpg

It's made to go under carpets. I bought it at Home Depot, I think it cost about $5/yard.

They had 2 different kinds, one with the bumps on approx. 1/2" centers, and one with the bumps separated by about 1".

Here's the source of the ones in your first picture.

Tap Trays

Notice the smilarity to my suggestion in post #5...
As in, they made them instead of buying them.
They will probably make you some, too! :)

Chip

Those cutting boards are usually polypropylene and cut like butter with sharp tools. I've made many things (including smaller cutting boards) from various ones and sometimes the local dollar store has them super cheap. I don't know anywhere I could buy comparable material in small quantities that cheaply.

Back