What's new
What's new

Source for small AC motors?

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys,
Hoping someone here can help. I need a small AC motor for a rotary tumbler that I'm building. It only needs to be 1/4HP or 1/5HP, probably not even that much power is necessary to be honest as it will be massively geared down. The smallest frame AC motor I've found so far is a '48' frame motor from AutomationDirect... I know there are smaller motors out there because I've seen them on import woodworking tools, just have no idea where to get one!

Something in between a sewing machine motor and a '48' frame size motor would be perfect. ~1700 rpm, preferably TENV or TEFC though I would consider an open frame motor as well as I can design the enclosure to cover it.

Thanks!
-Aaron

Aaron,

I don't know the details of what you're building, but if it's a small motor you need and you are going to have to rig it up with belts and pulleys to get it to a useable speed, why don't you think 'small gearmotor'! There are some nice small, cute parallel gear motors made by folks like Bodine and Dayton that are fractional in HP, but the end result through their reduction is mucho torque, and you may find a unit with a output speed that fits your design without a bunch of belts and pulleys.

Ebay is rife with Bodine and Dayton and other manufactures as well..take a peek. If that doesn't pan out, look at the Surplus Center, they have more small motors and gearmotors than Carter has liver pills. Shipping to Canada could be a fly in the proverbial ointment...don't know.

I have several little guys, but not knowing your needs, I don't know if they would be viable for your project.

Surplus Center

Stuart

What are you planning on for the barrel? I made one using a 5 gal paint bucket. It didn't last long, the walls were soon punctured. Use HF cement mixer or something like that.

Tom

Look on Craig's List for a tread mill. Speed control and a lot of other goodies included. Overweight people will pay you to get them out of their basement. But some will keep them if the bars hold coat hangers.

Back