What's new
What's new

Source for Whitworth threading inserts in small quantities?

opscimc

Stainless
I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a source for buying only one Whitworth threading insert (vs. packs of 10) in each of a few pitches. These are for a holder that takes TNMC-32NV inserts for 60-deg. threads.

Grainger, for example, sells the 20 and 26 tpi inserts I need but for these sizes they only sell them in quantities of 10 which at the ~$50 ea. they charge gets rather pricey. I won't be cutting Whitworth threads in production quantities so the three edges on just one insert should last me for years.

I've spent a fair amount of time with Google and in reading catalog pages on the web without success so, rather than answers of the type "Have you checked with ___?," I'm hoping for a specific recommendation of a retailer who someone knows actually sells these inserts in small quantities. Thanks very much in advance.

all kind s of whitworth inserts in quanties of 5 on ebay but non to fit the TNMC holder. they all seem to come from two sellers in Israel. since both appear to be dealers I would email them and ask if they can supply the particular insert you need

I wonder if you would come out ahead buying a laydown holder. The inserts are often much more common for those. The holder is only the price of a couple inserts. Is there an advantage to the TNMC inserts?

on ebay but non to fit the TNMC holder... I would email them and ask if they can supply the particular insert you need
Email sent. Thanks for pointing to this possible source.
I wonder if you would come out ahead buying a laydown holder.
Actually, I also have L and R laydown holders and the eBay seller lists inserts for those in the "standard" 60-deg. thread so in my email I asked if they can supply Whitworth. Thanks for the suggestion.

MSC just sold me one insert . But not very cheap . $30 with shipping . It was a laydown type SECO .I did cut about 100 threads with one corner so the cost per thread is good . I thought all whitworths were 55 degree ? plus on a full profile , you need to be specific on your pitch when ordering .

I thought all whitworths were 55 degree ? plus on a full profile , you need to be specific on your pitch when ordering .

What I do is to order specific full profile inserts for thread pitches typically used both external and internal plus partial profile inserts internal and external for those odd pitches and sharp V threads. The thread pitches are UN and ISO that are 60*. For Whitworth which is 55* in addition to the full profile inserts for a specific pitch external and internal I would probably order a pair of partial profile 55* inserts internal and external depending on the need for odd pitches.

Don Clement

Back