What's new
What's new

Sourcing Hard-Milling Endmills

allloutmx

Titanium
Looking for 1/32" dia ball endmills for some high volume, semi hard, engraving- material is 4340 rc36

Is IMCO still on top of the hard milling game or should I be entertaining another tooling Mfg.?

thanks in advance!
:cheers:

rc36 is pretty soft for hardmilling. A good quality 4 flute coated ball would also do the trick.

IMCO is great, can't go wrong with them.
OSG also has some great hardmilling stuff.

I also have some great hardmilling. I currently don't have 1/32 but can have them made and stocked as a standard item. Closest I have is 1mm.
.0394 Ball End 2 Flute Hard Milling End Mill 1mm dia x 2mm LOC PVD Coated MariTool

Frank- I appreciate you reaching out. I am doing some machine testing so lead time may be an issue if we were to have you guys make us some 1/32" 4 fluters. Should I contact someone at the shop to see what the lead time would be or would you be able to say offhand what the lead time would be?

Im affraid the cross section on the 2 fluter would make the tool too weak for the parameters my customer has spec'd. right now im running 9000rpm at 350mm/min with ultrasonic power.

Normally 2-3 weeks but my vendors are so busy I would say 3-4 to be safe. Let me know what flute length and I will get them going. No big deal they should be on my website anyway. It is a common size. Will be on a 1/8 dia x 1.5 blank unless you want a larger shank.

Normally 2-3 weeks but my vendors are so busy I would say 3-4 to be safe. Let me know what flute length and I will get them going. No big deal they should be on my website anyway. It is a common size. Will be on a 1/8 dia x 1.5 blank unless you want a larger shank.

3/32" or less. The shorter the better

If it's just engraving would you be better off having the 1/64R blend right into the transition curve on the blank body? No cylinder, just the full radius?

Absolutely- that would be desirable for sure-he was saying he wanted to throw them on the shelf, so I wasnt going to ask him to stock a custom tool for little 'ole me. If this were an option- we would definitely be willing to explore that in the future.
Im only goin 100microns into the part so i really dont need much flute

I tried the harvey engraving tools...Ive never had much success with them and this time was no different. Even with Ultrasonic power- im busting the tips off.

Absolutely- that would be desirable for sure-he was saying he wanted to throw them on the shelf, so I wasnt going to ask him to stock a custom tool for little 'ole me.

Then there's the fact that they might ship a day late then you'd have to come here to complain about it.

Absolutely- that would be desirable for sure-he was saying he wanted to throw them on the shelf, so I wasnt going to ask him to stock a custom tool for little 'ole me. If this were an option- we would definitely be willing to explore that in the future.
Im only goin 100microns into the part so i really dont need much flute

Then ask for that - probably others doing similar shallow work would like them too.

I tried the harvey engraving tools...Ive never had much success with them and this time was no different. Even with Ultrasonic power- im busting the tips off.

When you get a second please link to the Ultrasonic tech (presuming this isn't home-grown), I'd like to see what their claims are.

Back