What's new
What's new

Special fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Gitzel

Aluminum
I need a fitting to connect a temperature gauge to the thermostat housing on my motor. The outlet is 3/8 npt. The brass fitting that comes with the new gauge is marked 1/2 - 14 NPT. I thought this was 1/4 NPT but it is not. What kind of a designation is 14? What I would need is a 3/8 - 14 NPT . The nut that holds the sensor tube in is that 14 thread. Any ideas where I would get one.

The adapter in post #2 will work to mount the sensor, but it may cause the actual part of the temperature sensor that senses temperature to be recessed out of the coolant flow, and give somewhat inaccurate (low) readings. If the gauge is the usual sort with C, a few lines, and H with no pretense at providing actual temperature figures, it probably will make no difference. There are devices that will give accurate results if such are needed.

Larry

You can buy various sizes of adapters like what came with the gage. !/4-3/8-1/2 pipe are what are available. Try a decent auto parts house or some one like Summit Racing.

I need a fitting to connect a temperature gauge to the thermostat housing on my motor. The outlet is 3/8 npt. The brass fitting that comes with the new gauge is marked 1/2 - 14 NPT. I thought this was 1/4 NPT but it is not. What kind of a designation is 14? What I would need is a 3/8 - 14 NPT . The nut that holds the sensor tube in is that 14 thread. Any ideas where I would get one.

Every MAJOR gage-maker is USUALLY the first and best source of fittings FOR their gages as well. They know about that challenge. It's a normal part of their Day Job.

Try them first.

Last edited:

Quit F'n around. Return or eat the gauge you bought and order the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back