What's new
What's new

Specifying chrome plate on only portion of a shaft

mountie

Aluminum
Wondering if there is a recommended, or "correct" way to specify chroming only a portion of a shaft on a drawing. Would this be best served by a note, by highlighting the section required, or is there something else that I'm missing? I drawing a shaft with bearing journals on either end that need to be chromed & ground to .5510/.5505. Thanks!

Is there some reason the whole thing can't be plated?

You can put in the plated areas in the drawing and mask off the rest, but it's probably cheaper to plate the entire thing and just grind where needed.

Unless it's too long for the tanks, in which case you'd have to draw it up to plate just the ends...

Wondering if there is a recommended, or "correct" way to specify chroming only a portion of a shaft on a drawing. Would this be best served by a note, by highlighting the section required, or is there something else that I'm missing? I drawing a shaft with bearing journals on either end that need to be chromed & ground to .5510/.5505. Thanks!

if you have bearing journals I would say the area around them would be a different diameter (smaller) so a note to chrome plate and grind area to XXX dimension is typically what we see on RFQ prints.

Just as a questions can I ask why you are chrome plating vs hardening the area and just grinding to final ? We manufacture our right angle head spindle shafts and they are rough turned, then heat treated and ground to final spec. Our journals are proud +.010" or so larger than surrounding areas, so it is easy to notate

Charles

I'm reverse engineering a part, found an old print in the filing cabinet. Seems the print was actually for a repair of said part, not for a new part, hence the chrome and grind section. Ended up sending an RFQ for parts to be made from 4340 and heat treated.

Thanks,
M

I'm reverse engineering a part, found an old print in the filing cabinet. Seems the print was actually for a repair of said part, not for a new part, hence the chrome and grind section. Ended up sending an RFQ for parts to be made from 4340 and heat treated.

Thanks,
M

Yes now that makes a lot of sense. We make our own shafts from 4340 as well. Our shop is in Ohio and can give you a competitive quote if you would like.

Back