What's new
What's new

Specifying sharp threads on drawing

AHUNT

Plastic
So I am considering the possibility of having an evenly spaced round blade made, so if it dulls we can rotate it a few degrees. I was thinking our machine shop might be able to just turn a threaded rod on their lathe at the required TPI, and we could mount the threaded rod on an angle to cut what we need. Is there a good way to specify on the drawing that we need the threads to be as sharp as possible? Thanks!

I think you would be best off speaking directly to your machine shop and explaining what you want. From the outside with little information I'm curious what you are cutting and if you would need to make your "thread" out of something hard enough that grinding would make more since.

I was thinking our machine shop might be able to just turn a threaded rod on their lathe at the required TPI, and we could mount the threaded rod on an angle to cut what we need.

The threaded rod will act like an auger if it will be spinning and not do what you want it to do.

Instead specify a series of grooves with sharp tips.

We were going to lock the rotation of it. We would want to be able to unlock it rotate it a few degrees and relock it.

I'm imagining it slicing like a knife, like when you try to turn a piece of brass all-thread by hand and get a line of cuts instead . :dunce:

Are you cutting, paper, card, foil, plastic sheet, leather or what?

How many TPI?
How long is the threaded bar?
What diameter?
Does it have to be Sliver Steel/ Drill Rod so it can be hardened?
Is depth of cut normal thread depth?
How is the material being cut moved across the threads?
Thickness of material being cut?

Trying to visualise just what is happening.

Back