What's new
What's new

Spindle cartridge removal

Riley

Aluminum
Anybody ever pushed a spindle cartridge out of a Mazak FJV25? Have it torn down to the spindle encoder and it seems like the encoder gear comes off the top while pushing the spindle down. Took the bolts out of the spindle face and the whole cartridge drops .004 and that's it. Set up a screw press on top but don't want to trash it with brute force if I'm missing something. Needs to go out for bearings and I thought pulling the cartridge would be fairly simple....I think I was wrong.

This is an image of what lives beneath the rotary coupling and the drawbar actuator. You can see right above the encoder gear the set screws that are loosened up. Behind the set screws are brass plugs that are seated firmly against a threaded section of the spindle extension.PXL_20200926_154417737.jpg

Once removed (right hand thread) you can lift off the spindle encoder gear which is keyed to the shaft but required no force to remove. Here are a couple shots of it removed. The mechanical parts drawing included in the manuals is so tiny I couldn't tell how this came apart. The spindle cartridge was simple to remove after that but make sur to put a pan under the spindle to catch the cooling oil.PXL_20201003_220108301.jpgPXL_20201003_220101683.jpg Maybe this will help someone else out someday.PXL_20201003_220124232.jpg

Back