What's new
What's new

Spindle rebuilding services... what has been your experience?

spindledoctor

Plastic
Have you ever had a spindle rebuilt by an OEM or 3rd party? Was the process straightforward? Did you feel that the price was high, or appropriate? How was your overall experience, and would you recommend the company or use them again?

Do you regularly monitor the health of your spindle, and if so, how?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I work for Northland Tool. We've been rebuilding machine tool spindles for 40 years, and I'm conducting market research to better understand our customers' needs and expectations so that we can further tailor our services to fit their requirements.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

and give away gifts for taking time to answer your questions.

Like free spindle rebuilds? I'm up for that...

Northland Tool reground the taper on my smaller Haas VMC about five years ago, as well as did a general health check after a tool hadn't seated correctly during a toolchange and the resultant bouncing around buggered the taper and drawbar. Spindle's worked well since, no issues with any work they did. Service was fast and they were easy to deal with.

(No bribes were paid for this posting, not even cookies (those cheap bastards)).

As far as monitoring, just the normal checks for changes in sound and surface finish of the work, nothing out of the ordinary so far. A larger shop should have a more formal preventive maintenance program in place, but us small guys typically don't.

Back