What's new
What's new

Spindle sleeve taper versus spindle center taper?

rpseguin

Stainless
I was looking at the Mori Seiki MS type/Webb/Whacheon WL435 manual and in the spindle specs, it says the spindle sleeve taper is MT6, but the spindle center taper is MT4
It says the tailstock is MT4 later in the specs table.
Why the difference, sleeve versus center taper?

e220fcb727024302e2b4707dbe1e3006.png

Well, at the headstock maybe they intend you to leave that MT6 sleeve in there to preserve the MT6 taper instead of constant insertion and removal? That way all the wear goes on the MT4. Dunno, but makes sense to me. Mainly of course that MT6 is there just to give you the larger through-hole.

Well, at the headstock maybe they intend you to leave that MT6 sleeve in there to preserve the MT6 taper instead of constant insertion and removal? That way all the wear goes on the MT4. Dunno, but makes sense to me. Mainly of course that MT6 is there just to give you the larger through-hole.

I believe MT6 is the integral spindle bore taper itself at the front of the headstock, so probably can’t be removed. I don’t think there’s any actual sleeve in there.
The spindle ID is 2.1” at the back of the headstock.
I was looking, because I am thinking of making a 16C drawtube, which should fit

Well, at the headstock maybe they intend you to leave that MT ^^4 ^^ sleeve in there to preserve the MT6 taper instead of constant insertion and removal? That way all the wear goes on the MT4. Dunno, but makes sense to me. Mainly of course that MT6 is there just to give you the larger through-hole.

THIS

Think it through.

And "oh, BTW?" 5 MT here, DP, both HS & TS of one of the lathes.

4 MT is easy-peasy to "just order". 5 MT is not so common.

6 MT?

Some days.. you'd need a search warrant or not find the goods you WANT at all.

Be glad of the adaptors!

Put by a few good ones, spare..."just in case". So damage-day doesn't slow you down.

It only happens when there is no time left, after all. Lybarger's Corollary applies.

Last edited:
with the adaptor you could probably tune out some runout.

Last edited:

Back