What's new
What's new

Spinner SB CNC Lathe

rpseguin

Stainless
I found a small footprint CNC lathe!
Spinner SB CNC lathe, 2010, Fanuc (not sure which model), made in Germany, super precision spindle and axes/ballscrews.
It’s gang tool and thus no tailstock. I’d prefer a turret machine, but couldn’t find a small one that I could afford or that was in good shape.
I see turrets on the same model in their brochures, so maybe it’s an option I can get in the future if I can afford it.
Footprint is small, which is good!

I need to find gang tooling for it or drawings /specs to make my own and good 5C collets.

Anybody have tooling? Or drawings/specs?
Docs?

f30c416a2396740ca923212ca0f212a8.png

I’m picking up the machine tomorrow and excited to get it going.
I’m looking for gang tooling and/or a turret for it.
Apparently the tooling from Spinner is crazy expensive.

9d35c9c7f4a2a208f16f3f9a15bf0ca6.png

0.0001mm/0.000004" resolution!
It’s a Fanuc 18i control.
If I’m reading things right, it looks like it is set up for C axis as well (C1 axis on image above), so it would be cool if I could get/make live tooling for it.

Now I have to figure out a way to make space for it. :-)
I have a beautiful Hardinge Super Precision HC-AT that I might have to sell off to make room in my small garage.

Move went smoothly.
Issues that I need to address:
Power: Ran great off 480V 3ph, but we tried removing one of the legs and then it threw single phase alarms (I forget the code).
Are there parameters to allow Fanuc drives to run off single phase without complaining?
Drives are Fanuc Alpha-IS

-Find/make tooling. There’s a dovetail plate of some sort.
-Machine has a lot of interlocks; it would be nice to get rid of or override the door interlocking.
-Eventually get new spindle bearings.

d8d4deab6a706332d6426d791386d635.jpg

06df9ae2e2b897b867495d6fab021320.jpg

Congratulations

I have a Spinner SM 100 tool and cutter grinder, NO, the SB designation has nothing to do with South Bend.

It is a fine machine and you will be pleased with the product. I can tell you that to speak with them it will be difficult, but not impossible. It is an "upper end" machine.

Now, with that being said .... I do not know the condition of your machine. if it has not been abused it should serve you well.

Best of Luck!

Mick

Congratulations

I have a Spinner SM 100 tool and cutter grinder, NO, the SB designation has nothing to do with South Bend.

It is a fine machine and you will be pleased with the product. I can tell you that to speak with them it will be difficult, but not impossible. It is an "upper end" machine.

Now, with that being said .... I do not know the condition of your machine. if it has not been abused it should serve you well.

Best of Luck!

Mick

Thanks!
Runs well! Spindle bearings are a little noisy, but not bad sounding. Will need to replace them eventually, but should run fine for a long time still.
I just need to find tooling for it:
-gang tooling
-turret (probably way out of my price range)

That dovetail the tool holders mount to looks like the Hardinge GT. If you can find the spinner manual it should give you dimensions. I do have the manual for my Hardinge GT and can copy or photograph the tooling dimensions for you to compare.
That hole is side of the dovetail, what is that? Tooling stop? Or ball rail? The GT tooling stop is on the rear of the slide.

That dovetail the tool holders mount to looks like the Hardinge GT. If you can find the spinner manual it should give you dimensions. I do have the manual for my Hardinge GT and can copy or photograph the tooling dimensions for you to compare.
Yes please!

A quick, rough measurement of the dovetail has:
top width =2.435”
height=0.430”

That hole is side of the dovetail, what is that? Tooling stop? Or ball rail? The GT tooling stop is on the rear of the slide.

Not sure.

The circled one?

59f62f727f6f39b02dea5e4a609eb3f0.jpg

The 5C collet chuck on the spindle now is indeed Hardinge 2 3/16 x 10TPI, but I really don’t want to mount a chuck that way. Step chucks would be fine, but nothing that could just spin off.

The spindle is 10000 RPM.

The spindle nose has a 100mm OD flat face raised 11mm, no taper, 60mm ID bore 10mm deep and an 82mm diameter bolt circle 3 and 4 bolt.

Anybody know what name/designation/type of mounting this is?
I’ll probably machine my own backplates.

b2dd3eadf5d276b4fbb81f8559053836.png

The 5C collet chuck on the spindle now is indeed Hardinge 2 3/16 x 10TPI, but I really don’t want to mount a chuck that way. Step chucks would be fine, but nothing that could just spin off.

The spindle is 10000 RPM.

The spindle nose has a 100mm OD flat face raised 11mm, no taper, 60mm ID bore 10mm deep and an 82mm diameter bolt circle 3 and 4 bolt.

Anybody know what name/designation/type of mounting this is?
I’ll probably machine my own backplates.
On the Hardinge Gt they use a step collet closer that is not compatible with standard step closers so that standard step collets will not be used with the 6000 RPM spindle. With a threaded closer and limiting the RPMs to 3000/3600 you should be OK.
I sent you a PM about tooling plate dimensions. That 2.437 is in the right neighborhood. So Hardinge stuff may fit. it will not be cheap but will be available.

Did you get your power situation sorted out? A lot of machines have provisions for changing what voltage you are running them at. But there usually isn't an easy way to get around needing 3 phase to the machine. I would imagine you could switch it to 208 (or other common 3 phase voltage), but it will draw more current to have the same power. If you can't get 3 phase to your garage, you may need to use a rotary phase converter.

Did you get your power situation sorted out? A lot of machines have provisions for changing what voltage you are running them at. But there usually isn't an easy way to get around needing 3 phase to the machine. I would imagine you could switch it to 208 (or other common 3 phase voltage), but it will draw more current to have the same power. If you can't get 3 phase to your garage, you may need to use a rotary phase converter.

In process.
Built and tested a 25HP rotary phase converter (new SKF 6310/6308 bearings arrived today):
4d371fbeeab30e491faf32a99e74965a.jpg

Picked up a 30KVA 3 phase transformer for dirt cheap and rewired it to put out 408V.

82a65c9ce8c28d0653a966ffa8fa74da.jpg

I just need to package it all up nice and clean and then hook up the lathe.

Trying to figure out what to put on the spindle of the 25HP RPC idler to make it safe and useful.
I think maybe a buffing wheel.

Nice! Just want to double check, is it rewired for 408 or 480? Typical 3 phase in the 400 volt range would be 480.

I would imagine you could switch it to 208 (or other common 3 phase voltage), but it will draw more current to have the same power. If you can't get 3 phase to your garage, you may need to use a rotary phase converter.

The machine is definitely 400V. Can’t be wired for 208-230V
The power supply actually rectifies to 570VDC and the drives are DC drives.
The single phase alarms I saw when experimenting trying to see if it could be run off single phase must be coming from the power supply.

Back