What's new
What's new

Spot drills, proper use

If you're talking about "the tapered part" is sounds like a center drill that most people, including me, use for spotting before using a larger drill. I drill deep enough usually to get to the 60 degree taper but I don't think it makes a difference in getting the drill located. If I hit the depth right it provides a small countersink to break the edge of the hole but hat's gravy.

In my vernacular a spot drill is a short stiff drill with a pretty sharp point (small web) and no flutes going up the shank. Here's probably where we argue nomenclature, though.

If you're talking about "the tapered part" is sounds like a center drill that most people, including me, use for spotting before using a larger drill. I drill deep enough usually to get to the 60 degree taper but I don't think it makes a difference in getting the drill located. If I hit the depth right it provides a small countersink to break the edge of the hole but hat's gravy.

In my vernacular a spot drill is a short stiff drill with a pretty sharp point (small web) and no flutes going up the shank. Here's probably where we argue nomenclature, though.

Yeah I had a brain fart and put spot instead of center...I started a new thread.

Back