What's new
What's new

Spring steel forming and properties

mpug25

Plastic
I'm trying to form a spring in the shape of a U for a little project and in order to test the correct thickness to achieve the suspension I need I was gonna use some solid works simulation FEA and they have a material property to carbon steel which is pretty close to the 1074 spring steel I want. My question is aside from the obvious spring the steel gets from being tempered and annealed am I going to still get an accurate deflection simulation from the carbon steel model information. Or will I need to create my own material and fish for the correct stress strain poissons ECT...
Thanks

...am I going to still get an accurate deflection simulation from the carbon steel model information ....

I presume that the modulus of elasticity is the same for both materials, so your simulation should work, with some qualifications.

I'm not familiar with solid works but some FEA applications don't accurately predict behavior when unit stress is near the material yield strength. Best to insure that the stress in your spring is << than yield point for an accurate prediction.

PS: heat treatment doesn't enhance the "springiness" of carbon steel, it raises the yield strength compared to non-heat treated material of the same composition.

Back