What's new
What's new

square tabs need to be threaded?

aubk

Plastic
Hello,

I have some square tabs 6mm wide x 5mm high x 10mm long that need to be threaded to accept a fitting. Is there and tool that could say be fitted to the end of a drill that could turn these tabs down to accept a M6 thread die? obviously there would still be a couple flats but that shouldn't matter. I'd hate to try grinding these down by hand.

A picture and/or a better description would help. My take is that you have a piece of material with a rectangular
cross-section (5 x 6) that is 10 mm long. You want to reduce one end to a round cross-section and thread it with
a male M6. Am I close? If what I've described is close I can't think of anything that would fit in an ordinary drill
that would do what you want...

A picture would be great. There may well be an alternative approach than turning the projection into a stud, which is, I think, what you are describing.

tennon cutter. I think it will snag and be terrible.

power tennon cutter - Google Search

after you get them turned down, threading them....

I doubt the die will handle interrupted threads it may jump sideways and jamb.

If you could very accurately Keep the die in alignment over the stud you may have luck but this will be difficult and require a real fixture.

for reference consider these hand tapping machines.

hand tapping machine - Google Search

now if the overarm was shorter and much more stout such that it could keep a die in perfect alignment I think you would have a possible answer.

I would additionally consider making my "ram" on the machine threaded at the same pitch as your intended threads such that it advances the die in sync with the threads it's cutting.

also, you will want decent dies, probably round dies. -not hardware store hex dies.

I would run the tennon cutter AND the Die in similar stout guides.

6mm square collet on the lathe. Two strips of .5mm shim bent with a short leg "L" to slip in on either side of the 5mm dimension to take up to the 6mm square.
Turn, thread ......Quick and easy
Cheers Ross

Well the obvious way would be to turn them down in a lathe. Four jaw chuck. Grip slightly less than half of the 10mm length. Cut away. Turn it around. Use a 6mm collet and turn the other end.

Gonna be fun threading them with a die. I would at least start one end with a single point tool in the lathe first. If you need the full 10mm length threaded, I would start with new, bar or rod stock. It would be a LOT easier that way. And faster. And CHEAPER if your labor is worth anything. Single point the thread for 11 mm. Run the die over it. Cut it off. Done!

Even if you only need threads for part of that 10mm length, working from a longer bar or rod will be a lot easier.

Thanks for all the input guys, Its an awkward shape and cannot be turned down on a lathe. Taking it all in I've decided to pin it rather then thread it now since I need to do it >100 times, It'll cost about 3x more to machine the fittings but it'll be stronger and more hassle free.

Back