What's new
What's new

Square Tubing Bender Die Question

gtj

Plastic
Hi There,

Recent hobby machinist/fabricator. Still learning.

Question:
Attempting to make square tubing die for a custom metal tubing bender to be used in my 10 ton shop press. Plan to make a die for bending 1" and 1-1/2" tubing with .125" wall thickness.
I have a 6" OD round stock 2.5" width trued up in the lathe. Plan to cut this in half forming two 1/2 moon shapes to make the two dies.
For the 1" die, I was thinking of making a .750" depth groove, 1" width around the 180 degree circumference with a centralized .125" width X .125" height beveled protuberance on the groove floor to cause a "dimpling" effect in the tubing to allow for the bend hopefully without "kinking".
Do you think I could get away with a shallower groove, say .500"?

Any comments or suggestions on these dimensions and recommendations on the 1-1/2" die dimensions are appreciated.

Hi There,

Recent hobby machinist/fabricator. Still learning.

Question:
Attempting to make square tubing die for a custom metal tubing bender to be used in my 10 ton shop press. Plan to make a die for bending 1" and 1-1/2" tubing with .125" wall thickness.
I have a 6" OD round stock 2.5" width trued up in the lathe. Plan to cut this in half forming two 1/2 moon shapes to make the two dies.
For the 1" die, I was thinking of making a .750" depth groove, 1" width around the 180 degree circumference with a centralized .125" width X .125" height beveled protuberance on the groove floor to cause a "dimpling" effect in the tubing to allow for the bend hopefully without "kinking".
Do you think I could get away with a shallower groove, say .500"?

Any comments or suggestions on these dimensions and recommendations on the 1-1/2" die dimensions are appreciated.

Have you tried at the more hobby based forums, like pirate 4x4 ?

Back