What's new
What's new

SR44 Batteries for Height Guage

lionelt

Stainless
Changed the batteries in my hight gauge today with a LR44 button battery.

Digits were getting very faint and hard to see, put in the new battery and the digits are a little sharper, but very grey looking and hard to see.

I am wondering if the batteries should be a hight voltage than 1.5 volts?

Googled to see if there is a higher voltage battery the same size but not found any.

No idea the brand of height guage, bought it from a factory closure many years ago,no maker label on it.

Any ideas why the digital readout is so faint?

LR44 are alkaline, SR's are silver oxide.
Hence the LR's have a much shorter life.. Do they measure 1.5V under load?
Or, the display has reached the end of its life?

Just bought some SR44, changed The LR to SR44 but display not any brighter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you getting them in the same store ?

Perhaps they are old.

Try a different store that goes through them faster.
try reading the date codes on the packages.

Try a different brand.

I found that the SR44 # was pretty rare
but a 303 or 357 # was much more common, easier to find, fresher batteries.

First one's the LR44, were Duracell from the local tool store.

Original battery was a 357 with what looked like gold plating on the inner contact surface. It was that that made me think it was a special of higher voltage.

The SR44 came from a camera shop, Panasonic I think it was.

I'll try another brand when I see them on my travels.

When you test batteries, a normal VOM is not the best way. It does not have any load to draw some current from the battery and so even bad ones can read OK.

You can get a simple battery tester from a local battery store or hardware. A BATTERY TESTER will apply an appropriate load (resistor) to draw the proper amount of current during the test. This will show the actual condition of the battery with a lot more accuracy. These testers are commonly available for $10 or less and can test a variety of different battery types.

If you must test it with a VOM, do it in the circuit with power turned on. That way you will see the Voltge under actual working conditions.

Back