What's new
What's new

Stack cutting "T" angle?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
What's the correct (presuming there is one?) way of stack cutting T shaped angle? I'm doing a job right now where I'm processing material in batches of 50 parts, so for regular "L" angle, I cut sticks in half and half again until I'm stacking them like this <<<<<<< against the bandsaw fence and chewing them up 8 or 12 at once. I can't thinking of a great way of doing that with T that's not going to lead to vibration and teeth getting ripped out.

Parenthetically, if anyone doesn't know the trick to cutting angle the way I described, a clamp holding all of the top legs tightly, somewhere in front of the blade (in addition to the saw's vise behind, obviously), keeps the top legs from vibrating as the sharp spine of the angle tries to rock against the radiused inside of the piece behind it.

Some day I may have an auto saw or ironworker, but for now, a decent bandsaw can process a lot of steel if it can be efficiently stacked! How do I get there with "T"?

Stand T on bases and cut strips of hard wood (few mins on a table saw) as packers to go between the upright legs,** with narrower strips for the vise jaws.

** make strips 2mm + wider than the 2 flanges together to allow for clamping.

YMMV but it works for me.

What's the correct (presuming there is one?) way of stack cutting T shaped angle? I'm doing a job right now where I'm processing material in batches of 50 parts, so for regular "L" angle, I cut sticks in half and half again until I'm stacking them like this <<<<<<< against the bandsaw fence and chewing them up 8 or 12 at once. I can't thinking of a great way of doing that with T that's not going to lead to vibration and teeth getting ripped out.

Parenthetically, if anyone doesn't know the trick to cutting angle the way I described, a clamp holding all of the top legs tightly, somewhere in front of the blade (in addition to the saw's vise behind, obviously), keeps the top legs from vibrating as the sharp spine of the angle tries to rock against the radiused inside of the piece behind it.

Some day I may have an auto saw or ironworker, but for now, a decent bandsaw can process a lot of steel if it can be efficiently stacked! How do I get there with "T"?

You have not been adding a large clamp holding down, right next to the vice ?

Autosaws that doo bundles have a hydraulic cylinder that shoves down, to keep things in bundle.

Back