What's new
What's new

Stainless equivalent of 1144SP?

Cole2534

Diamond
Customer wants a prototype made of SS, doesn't care about the alloy so long as it isn't 303. The only thing I have on the shelf is some annealed 17-4 so I thought I'd see what else is available. Part is roughly 1"OD x 4"L, couple OD's, couple ID's, some cross-holes.

I found Project 70, but small quantities of that stuff are pricey!

Can anyone suggest another alloy be that would be similar to the properties of stressproof, but stainless?

Thanks, Cole

I would make it from the 17-4 and send it out for heat treat. You should be able to find a heat treat that gets you close to the strength of stressproof.

I considered that, but decided that if that were the route I needed to take that I'd just pony up for hardened 17-4 or P70.

If you have Condition A/solution treated... aka not heat treated 17-4, then you are pretty much right
there as far as strength goes compared to standard 1144 108ksi vs 110ksi.

I KNOW, you aren't *supposed* to use 17-4 unless its heat treated, but I've done it for a ton of
my own stuff, and I've had many assemblies come through that have pieces made from 17-4 that don't
get heat treated. Only you know the application..

As far as easy to machine, except for 303, and maybe 416 which I have little experience, its about
the easiest stainless going.. Even when its not heat treated, and hanging onto its "Stainlessy" machining
properties, I still find it about 10X easier than 304, at least its predictable.

Does 416 have galling issues like 304? I'm not sure of the part's intended service so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

Thanks!

TTBOMK, no, not as bad as 304/316. If you go with 17-4, my understanding is that it doesn't develop best corrosion properties unless it's been heat treated. Just looked for a reference to confirm that, can't find one at the moment (but sure I've read it before).

416 is the stainless equivalent of stress proof. Easy to machine and finishes even better in the H or T condition. If you make the prototypes in 17-4 will the buyer make you use it in production? 416 will be easier to machine than 17-4 in production.
Fry or others may stock Carpenter project 70 without the $200 line item minimum. One inch should be a common size.

Back