What's new
What's new

Standard 6061 T6511 ASTM B221 aluminum tube tolerances

hoot

Aluminum
Good afternoon,

I have been having a difficult time locating the dimensional tolerances of this 2" OD .065 wall aluminum tubing.
Is it the ASTM B221 spec that defines it? I have no access to that spec.

Diameter tolerance
Roundness tolerance.

This 2" tube we have is out of round.
Measures 2.023 to 1.995 depending on where you measure it.

I think this is what you want. From how I read it, not official, it looks like you are well within tolerance. Keep in mind the manufacturers have set the tolerance so it is VERY loose.

I have had the same experience, with 3" x 1/8" tube. The product I was getting was welded, as seamless was way more $$ or unavailable. Out of round by up to .020" or so, average OD varies +/-.02", a real nightmare to try to fixture accurately.

Regards.

Mike

I have had the same experience, with 3" x 1/8" tube. The product I was getting was welded, as seamless was way more $$ or unavailable. Out of round by up to .020" or so, average OD varies +/-.02", a real nightmare to try to fixture accurately.

Regards.

Mike

I believe there is a cold drawn option that makes it more accurate.

What are you doing with the tubing? How round does it need to be? The most consistent stuff that we have found is
drawn round tube with a wall thickness of .058". You can get sequentially sized tubes from 1/2" up that all telescope
into each other...

McMaster-Carr's online info is fairly extensive with respect to raw materials tolerances. That is usually my first quick stop for a material tolerance idea. That said, the tolerances ARE McMaster's own, at least with respect to some large U-channel aluminum extrusions we use. The McMaster catalog published tolerance is fully half of what the Alum.Assoc Standard allows. That was recently an issue for one of our suppliers when they got material from an alternate source. I was quite surprised as well, which led me to buy a copy of the Assoc. standards for reference.

ANSI H35.2 is used for most aluminum tolerances. The mean diameter (the average of the biggest and smallest measurements) should be within +/- .015" of the specified diameter. The diameter at any point can be +/-.030" from the specified diameter.

Back