What's new
What's new

STANKO ZM50 Manual Lathe: Would this be similar to TOS SN 50?

Stan Canada

Aluminum

what would be your opinion on this model compare to the TOS SN50. Based on the specs, it's very similar with a 20" swing and around 2" bore. Also not sure if you can still find a decent TOS SN50 around unless rebuilt?

Tis a bit blatant, however I do actually like stanko, or stanko tanko as one machinist called it, perhaps Stan could tone it down a tad, or offer a bloody big discount lol
Mark

Tis a bit blatant, however I do actually like stanko, or stanko tanko as one machinist called it, perhaps Stan could tone it down a tad, or offer a bloody big discount lol
Mark

So does the SN50 much cheaper?

Ive run a few Stanks, built like Russian woman, big and hairy.
Only lathe ive run with a feed on the compound.
Good machines.
I also ran the SN50 Trens, wasnt terribly impressed.

I went to dynamo gorsk steel plant years ago, ( they had stanko!) a ladle crane was charging the converter, I heard a voice, not manly at all, it was a lady crane driver, most of them were, she looked like a tall blonde young Sophia Loren and drove a crane like a ballet dancer, my opinion changed.
Mark

I went to dynamo gorsk steel plant years ago, ( they had stanko!) a ladle crane was charging the converter, I heard a voice, not manly at all, it was a lady crane driver, most of them were, she looked like a tall blonde young Sophia Loren and drove a crane like a ballet dancer, my opinion changed.
Mark

That don't change our guy "stain" here....it's like putting ready whip on spam.....it's still spam.

Good machines.

Most of the " bigger " lathes had a power feed and RPT on the compound back in the day. I've worked on a few.

I'd have a " Stanko " if I was offered one. That goes for the milling machines as well. They were normally copies of Western machines but they chose the best machines to copy and they also made improvements on the original designs. I've seen some ingenious designs on Russian machines.

I once had the table off a really big kneeless milling machine that was a copy of a British " Kendall & Gent " or a " Noble & Lund ". It had big box ways and the main underside ways of the table were lined with a sort of " white metal " in the form of planks. A sort of early anti-friction material but much harder wearing. That was great machine.

In spite of the Russian reputation for secrecy that machine came with the best file of handbooks I've ever seen, it was about 8" high. One of the handbooks came with full manufacturing drawings for every gear, shaft, leadscrew etc in the machine. They were fully toleranced and even came with the hardening details etc. I've never seen that with a Western machine.

I don't mind Stan coming on here trying to earn a buck. At least he knows what he's talking about. Just saying.

Regards Tyrone.

Good machines.

Haha thank you, so similar in specs but build quality is not the same.

Most of the " bigger " lathes had a power feed and RPT on the compound back in the day. I've worked on a few.

I'd have a " Stanko " if I was offered one. That goes for the milling machines as well. They were normally copies of Western machines but they chose the best machines to copy and they also made improvements on the original designs. I've seen some ingenious designs on Russian machines.

I once had the table off a really big kneeless milling machine that was a copy of a British " Kendall & Gent " or a " Noble & Lund ". It had big box ways and the main underside ways of the table were lined with a sort of " white metal " in the form of planks. A sort of early anti-friction material but much harder wearing. That was great machine.

In spite of the Russian reputation for secrecy that machine came with the best file of handbooks I've ever seen, it was about 8" high. One of the handbooks came with full manufacturing drawings for every gear, shaft, leadscrew etc in the machine. They were fully toleranced and even came with the hardening details etc. I've never seen that with a Western machine.

I don't mind Stan coming on here trying to earn a buck. At least he knows what he's talking about. Just saying.

Regards Tyrone.

wow I see you have observed well on our STANKOs, yep the Timeline for Stanko Machine has slowed or even stopped at some point. We had a new owner around 2012-13 and we brought it to West Canada as we believe, Stanko has one of those reliable machines.

I usually post our on-sale items on the commerce thread and just like to discuss machines here and also share our channel as we put a lot of effort into making them giving us at least an online presence and possibly educate or entertain some machinist.

I believe we also have those good ones like the complete rebuilding videos of the STANKO 1M63.

Tried a storebro once, think it’s Swedish, some similarities also a good machine for gouging out big chips, I was turning welded rolls, Nast stuff
Mark

Stan Canada provides quality videos on youtube website which have real educational value--
example--use of converted linear planer to bed grinder resurfacing lathe bed--detailed aspects of
dial in set it apart

journeymen tool rebuilders with russian accents are effective instructors

count me a supportive fan;)

Back