What's new
What's new

Stanley tools Heliciols are GARBAGE!!!

hlr270

Plastic
DO Not USE HELICIOlL from Stanley tools you have been warned. I have been using Helicoil thread repair systems for decades and just destroyed a camshaft cap with Stanley tools made in CHINA junk. Half way in the SS wire tore out the fresh threads and yes I did use a lubricant as the cap is cast aluminum and if you know anything about motorcycles the caps are NOT interchangeable or replaceable.

That sucks. The USA made inserts I've used have been fine. If there's any meat left, you can either use a solid insert from Keensert, or there are "double helicoils" available for this situation.

So you wrecked a single Heli-coil insert. Were you using the correct insertion tool and collet? Why do you think its origin was significant? Why were you using a stainless steel heli-coil for an application that would be better served with a carbon steel one?

Whenever I see rambling like the OP I attibute it to operator error or, in a VERY rare case, that the OP got one product that slipped by QC.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Whenever I see rambling like the OP I attibute it to operator error or, in a VERY rare case, that the OP got one product that slipped by QC.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The guy has been a member for 11 years and has 5 posts. I'm not going to look, but I would guess the other 4 are similar to this one.

Stanley is junk, I thought everyone knew that. If there we're Helicoil type inserts branded as Craftsman, I wouldn't expect them to work either.

R

It's been close to thirty years since Black and Decker bought Emhart (which owned Helicoil), and Stanley bought Black and Decker -- and thus Helicoil -- ten years ago.

That's weird then. I believe you, but it doesn't explain why some suck and some don't. Other than what we all assume-that the shit from Ch is different than US.

That's weird then. I believe you, but it doesn't explain why some suck and some don't. Other than what we all assume-that the shit from Ch is different than US.

Nothing new under the sun.
Large companies or conglomerates often have more than one product line. Sometimes can't even tell what is the harry home shop line and what is supposed to be the professional line :angry:

Snap-on bought the Swedish Bahco brand and now they sell utter chinese crap under Bahco brand that is worse what you get from Harbor Freight but also US made Snap-on tools with Bahco branding. Confusing at best. :ack2:
Snap-on pooped Lindström pliers too :angry:

I have about 15 sizes of Helicoils, some bought as far back as the mid 70s. I also have some Stanley branded inserts I got about a month ago. I can't tell the difference, they work exactly the same. I would say they come out the Stanley door of the Helicoil factory. The OP points his finger at the Stanley product, I would remind him that when you are pointing your finger there are 3 pointing back at you.

Dunno about Stanley helicoils, ……...but I've been helicoiling for well over 40 years and STILL regard it more a black art than a science.

Dunno about Stanley helicoils, ……...but I've been helicoiling for well over 40 years and STILL regard it more a black art than a science.

We use a ton of helicoils as well. Seems they seem to alternate between effortless to install and absolutely impossible to install on a job by job basis.

Seems no matter what you do there will be the odd ones here and there that are just a bastard.

Which is why I switched to Wurth Timeserts ages ago. More expensive but at least the things behave themselves if you follow the instructions. Although, being an untrusting soul, they usually get a drop of loctite to back up the expansion grip. That said I could easily be persuaded that the spring like Helicoil is a theoretically better idea in hot, dissimilar metal, applications like spark plug holes in alloy heads as spring configuration ought to be able to follow differential thermal expansion better than the Timesert bush style.

Clive

I've generally had good luck with helical inserts, over multiple brands and materials. I think one thing that helps is I use a tiny bit of oil on the insert before it goes into the installation tool, then wind out a about two turns of the insert before bearing down on the actual part.

The exposed insert gives me an easier time centering on the tapped hole, then observing how the first few winds perform. If everything looks/feels good, I just wind down to the stop.

The extra stickout also allows me to check that the tiny drive pawl on the install tool is properly nestled into the bend of the insert tang. I think this area may be a problem for some insertions, if the tool isn't oriented correctly it can displace or break the drive tang prematurely.

Another (more expensive) option is to use the tangless inserts, which saves breaking off the little buggers but requires much more expensive insertion tools. But they are a lot easier to remove if you have an issue, using the (expensive) removal tool. I used a bunch of 2-56 tangless back when they were pretty new on some aerospace parts and was happy with the results.

I don't know the origin of the helicoils that we use,but we've installed tens of thousands over the last few years without issue.

Rants about quality issues stemming from Chinese made products are nothing new.

It's like buying a Harbor Freight product, then bitching. We all know the outcome, and have known the outcome for some time.

If quality is paramount, research first and be willing to pay a premium. Especially if an expensive part/assembly is at risk.

I have a few misc things around the shop with the Stanley name on it, none of which I have much faith in. Maybe they were something more back when you had to walk up hill both ways to/from school in a snow storm, but i've never considered them a quality product in my working life.

Back