What's new
What's new

Steady rest build

TJScharp

Aluminum
I own a Storebro Bruks Ab 14 x 60" lathe. When given to me (gratis) it did not include a steady rest. What advice would you give me? Should I modify a used steady rest to fit my lathe, or would it be easier to fab one up from scratch? I would like to spend as little as possible for now as it is going to be a hobby lathe in my garage.

It's generally quite easy to modify one and doesn't need to be perfectly centered in this situation. Just make sure she's square with the machine.

TJ: I would agree that modifying an existing steady rest would be easier if you can obtain one at a reasonable cost. That being said, if you decide to fab one, I might have a few tips, having made two, one for a 13" Clausing and one for a 15" South Bend Nordic. Good luck.

JH

Look for a used one that's a little shorter than your lathe's center height.
Much easier to make an adapter plate than cut down one that's too high.

If you find yourself in need of a steady, OXtoolco (Tom) has a full series on youtube of how he made a steady for his large YAM.

I think a steady is about the easiest thing to fab or adapt for your lathe. I've done both. I which you chose depends on your skill set and whether a donor steady can be had. A steady does not have to be exactly on center. The adjustable fingers take care of that. Nor do the fingers have to be fancy. My backup steady for my 12x36 just has 1/2" threaded rod for the fingers.

My 17x40 Whacheon came with the factory steady, and also a larger one that the previous owner had made for a large-diameter long job. They went to some extra care; it's quite nice.

44504433-0D20-4228-A66E-44A90B40A1C9-4391-00000EB4802A5816.jpg

D0DDFAD1-36EB-4C3B-8084-1F3AB8F154A0-4391-00000EB599BE2E6A.jpg

B30DE1EE-25F3-441E-834B-39BCDB6395C6-4391-00000EB4EFA6F05E.jpg

The MLA casting as suggested in the above post is, or was, an inexpensive way to go to wind up with a good, robust steady. The CI from his original foundry was excellent, and the design is easily modified in a number of ways to suit your needs & interests. It's a straighforward machining job.

Back