What's new
What's new

steel braided PTFE for propane?

badwithusernames

Aluminum
I'm replacing several propane components on my forklift, and need several new hose assemblies made. For whatever reason, the local supply doesn't have 7132 propane spec hose. It seems that stainless braided PTFE would be a suitable substitute, if not overkill.. but they will not say and I do not know. Maybe one of you can give me some guidance please?
FWIW, one hose is between the first tank/ bulkhead regulator and the lockout filter, it is 3/8" hose with AN-6 one each end. The second is from the vaporizer and is 5/8" hose with AN-8 on each end.
Thanks in advance.
SD

Depending on brand (of Lift truck) the dealer may have parts at a competitive price. My Yale dealer has stocked some hydraulic hoses ('94 truck) at fair prices in the past.

If only it was that easy. It's an older Allis Chalmers machine so no dealer service is available. . Someone had robbed much of the propane system from it, and I have had Impco spec new stuff to replace it. Right now the challenge is just getting it all connected.
A little more reading suggests that the PTFE is suitable for use, as there are many PTFE lined hose assemblies offered for numerous high and low pressure gas applications. But, I always ask someone smarter than myself if I'm able, hence the post here
Depending on brand (of Lift truck) the dealer may have parts at a competitive price. My Yale dealer has stocked some hydraulic hoses ('94 truck) at fair prices in the past.

Summit racing sells Aeroquip hose and fittings on-line. Call Aeroquip directly and ask them which one of their hoses is rated for Propane service. Seems most sizes areoquip hose is about $5/ft plus the fittings. Just one way to go. Did you check e-bay for hoses- just replaced a 24" one on our forklift and paid about $30 for it- .

Have you checked online for propane hose assemblies? I think I bought a hose for my White (even more esoteric than your AC) from a forklift supply on ebay.

I'm replacing several propane components on my forklift, and need several new hose assemblies made. For whatever reason, the local supply doesn't have 7132 propane spec hose. It seems that stainless braided PTFE would be a suitable substitute, if not overkill.. but they will not say and I do not know. Maybe one of you can give me some guidance please?
FWIW, one hose is between the first tank/ bulkhead regulator and the lockout filter, it is 3/8" hose with AN-6 one each end. The second is from the vaporizer and is 5/8" hose with AN-8 on each end.
Thanks in advance.
SD

Gases can be weird, liquified or no.

Temperatures, chemical reactivity, long-term changes in the material, permeability, even additive compatibility thing.

Use ONLY hoses specifically rated for the gas and type of service (pressure & temps mostly).

The "right stuff" can get to your door pretty damned fast from major-vendor online orders these days. No gain, potential pain with substitutes. Just don't.

FWIW, I received an email back from a Parker rep. They make a specific braided ptfe for propane/butane/acetylene and he explained why it is different than standard braided ptfe hose. The hose for use with these liquified gasses has the teflon lining grounded to the outer braid somehow. As the gas flows through the hose, it's turbulence creates a static charge on the inside of the teflon lining. If it's not grounded, and enough of a charge builds up, and it arcs to the outer lining... well you get the picture. :eek:
He suggests a UL-22 hose instead, as it is much cheaper than the braided, grounded ptfe. I've found a place to order custom lengths online, and am going that route.
SD

Back