What's new
What's new

Steel Rule die cutting thickness.

NeoRules

Plastic
Going to try my hand at steel rule cutting of some copper.
If anybody knows anything about it I would appreciate it.

I am attempting to cut copper in the following thickness'

are the sample sizes I am going to try and cut.

The maximum thickness I would attempt is
I suspect for the .032 and .065 I should probably use an EDM die in a clicker press or something but I am totally new to this.

I would like to do the .010 the most.
For what I am going to do it is thin enough to form into complex bends without expensive progressive dies and it also has the electrical properties I want.

The copper I have is C110 and all is dead soft except the .065 which is half hard.
If it makes a difference I can order the thinner stuff in various hardness to try.

The smallest feature is a slot between two .200 copper traces and the slot is .100.
So I am going to use a laser cut board as the bottom to the die (since I have access to a small co2 laser for that.
I think a laser cut board as the top of the die and sandwich the copper between the boards when I put the press on.

Also was wondering if you can cut multiple sheets of thin copper simultaneously or would they just start wrinkling?

Thanks for any advice you all can provide.
JC

I have alot of experience with steel rule die cutting but mostly with soft goods like cardboard and vinyl. Copper will cut but you need to experiment with your cutting board. Details like bends and punches are a limitation. I gather you plan on making your own dies. I encourage you to use a die maker, at least to start. They can give lots of specific input and the dies are probably cheaper than you can do yourself. Paragon steel rule die in Rochester ny is very knowledgeable and probably has experience with your exact material

Back