What's new
What's new

Steel rust and corrosion, does the "steel industry" even care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
Every body hates and battles rust and corrosion. Does anyone in the steel industry care? Are "they" happy about it? Do they think that this is someone elses problem? Common steel hardware items seem to rust away as fast as they did fifty years ago.Edwin Dirnbeck

Every body hates and battles rust and corrosion. Does anyone in the steel industry care? Are "they" happy about it? Do they think that this is someone elses problem? Common steel hardware items seem to rust away as fast as they did fifty years ago.Edwin Dirnbeck

Greenies have eliminated the better options.

Rust is caused by a combination of temperature and humidity, not steel content. In Texas rust was a constant battle, in Nevada its not. Case in point, I left a razor blade in engine compartment of the boomlift, 3 maybe 5 years ago, other than a few rust spots, its still shiny and sharp:).

Steel is a good engineering material because it's cheap and strong. The problem is that iron oxide is soluble in water. Steel rusts, the rust washes away, and then more rust happens.

Aluminum 'rusts' also, it forms aluminum oxide at the surface, the difference is that a) aluminum oxide is not water soluble and b) it forms a complete, gas-tight layer. The term is "self-passivating."

If you can figure out a way to make steel self-passivating you're on the way to a mansion. Cor-Ten was a flim-flam that was supposed to be, but wasn't, self-passivating.

Steel rusts (oxidizes) wood burns (oxidizes). Stainless steel rusts a lot less, and the steel industry developed that for the places that regular steel is not satisfactory. And there are other metals.

Oxidized iron is rather stable in most places. So that's where iron ends up. It's chemistry.

The steel industry did not invent chemistry just to make more money from you!

If you can figure out a way to make steel self-passivating you're on the way to a mansion. Cor-Ten was a flim-flam that was supposed to be, but wasn't, self-passivating.

It's not "Flim Flam".... just oversold.

it does work well in certain applications.

Steel is a good engineering material because it's cheap and strong. The problem is that iron oxide is soluble in water. Steel rusts, the rust washes away, and then more rust happens.

Aluminum 'rusts' also, it forms aluminum oxide at the surface, the difference is that a) aluminum oxide is not water soluble and b) it forms a complete, gas-tight layer. The term is "self-passivating."

Sorry jim but iron oxide is NOT soluble in water. Ferrous oxide, that which is in drinking water, yes but not ferric oxide the stuff you see on exposed steel parts.

Tom

Rust is caused by a combination of temperature and humidity, not steel content. In Texas rust was a constant battle, in Nevada its not. Case in point, I left a razor blade in engine compartment of the boomlift, 3 maybe 5 years ago, other than a few rust spots, its still shiny and sharp:).

Not 100% correct. Since most steels today contain significant recycled content some alloys have impurities that accelerate rust as several auto manufacturers discovered some years back when they bought the cheapest stock they could find. They used to call the stuff "pre-rusted steel" as even multiple coatings failed to prevent premature rust. Galvanic action plays a role and these alloys rot extra quickly.

Not 100% correct. Since most steels today contain significant recycled content some alloys have impurities that accelerate rust as several auto manufacturers discovered some years back when they bought the cheapest stock they could find. They used to call the stuff "pre-rusted steel" as even multiple coatings failed to prevent premature rust. Galvanic action plays a role and these alloys rot extra quickly.

I am curious about this- I know that since Nucor introduced the EAF (electric arc furnace) and continuous casting to the USA in 65, the process testing has gotten way better than in the old days- they monitor, in real time, alloy contents.
It is true that, in the old Bessemer process, usually only 10% of the charge was recycled, but way back then it could have contained wrought as well as alloy steel.
Currently, A36 does have lower standards of whats in it than, say 1018 does, and its true that 40 years ago, when I used to buy cold rolled if I wanted sharp corners, it would not have been A36. So there is often more copper, for example, in A36, than there used to be. Does copper content make steel rust easier?

But back then, I paid a premium for 1018 or 1020 cold rolled square or flat bar.
I imagine, if I was willing to pay for it, and wait for shipping, I could still get real 1018.
However, my memory says it rusted EASIER than hot rolled did, as hot rolled had an oxide coating.

In short, I think good steel used to be cheaper, so more places stocked it, and now, since even crappy A36 is more than 80 cents a pound, nobody bothers to stock or buy better steel.

I still dont see how magic steel of my childhood could have rusted less, though.
As Neil Young says, Rust Never Sleeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back