What's new
What's new

Storing coolant in 55 gallon drums to reduce evaporation?

martin_05

Hot Rolled
Being that our shop is not used for production, we can, at times, have period of weeks when the machines sit idle. Coolant evaporation is a problem.

In case someone is curious, we use Hocut 795-B. No problems at all with it. It does not stink-up the place or deteriorate if sitting idle. Evaporation is the only issue.

Anyhow, I've been thinking of setting-up a coolant load/drain system based around a 55 gallon drum next to the machine coolant tank. The idea is to drain the coolant through a filter when we know we are done for a while and store it in an airtight drum for use weeks later. When ready to use it, we pump it back in. I would likely try to automate this with a small processor and suitable level sensors.

Another use case would be when purposely machining without coolant. I have a job coming up where we are going to make several hundred parts out of mild steel with AlTIN tooling and no coolant. I can see using coolant to wash down the machine after a run. And then the question becomes: Do you really want to use the same coolant when going back to machining aluminum. I have extra filtration on the machine's drain into the coolant tank but fine particles are going to get through no matter what.

Has anyone done anything like this? I would imagine this might be something that large shops might do all the time for other reasons. I saw a video a while back of a shop that had coolant piped to faucets behind each machine in order to make refilling easier. I would imagine they prepare coolant in large batches elsewhere and pump it throughout the facility.

Thanks.

Are you losing coolant or just the water?

In my shop, we also sometimes go weeks without using a machine. Shop is air conditioned in the summer and we have very dry air in the winter. So our coolant levels go down quite a bit. But it's just water. We just fill back up to full with de-ionized water and the concentration remains at 5%. At most we are adding a cup of soluable oil type coolant into a 100 gallon sump after 2 weeks of sitting.

Water de-ionizer resin tank / resin / fittings / TDS meter was $500. It makes 500 to 1000 gallons of water using $140 of resin. I think the first resin charge lasted 3 or 4 years. And we use the de-ionized water in our soldering process and parts cleaning process. FYI

Are you losing coolant or just the water?

Based on the concentration increase, I would say it's mostly water.

We just fill back up to full with de-ionized water

I was taught you never just add water because the existing coolant will not emulsify into it. We make 5-gallon batches with a higher concentration, add, measure and adjust as needed. So, yeah, the process is a bit painful because you have to measure every 5 gallons.

Having a 55 gallon drum full of pre-mixed coolant just on the rich side would be a wonderful time saver.

I was taught you never just add water because the existing coolant will not emulsify into it.

I'm self trained, so I guess I missed that. But I have been running Trim MicroSol 690XT since 2017. In my Mazak CNC lathe, it's literally the same coolant that I dumped in in 2017. We run it at 5% and machine 90% stainless steel. Almost no smell and no rust on the machine. We do run aquarium bubblers in the coolant tanks.

No reason to change anything if it is working for you.

This is what Haas recommends (and what I do):

Low concentration:
[video]https://www.haascnc.com/video/tips/3f9qmvrnpm8.html[/video]

High concentration:
[video]https://www.haascnc.com/video/tips/zalbndp5hqe.html[/video]

High concentration:
[video]https://www.haascnc.com/video/tips/zalbndp5hqe.html[/video]

seems to me that you could add just the emulsifiers as needed, rather than using up more product.

An analogy would be: buying the concentrated corrosion inhibitors rather than changing the antifreeze in your engines. the ethylene glycol doesn't break down, but the other chemicals do.

seems to me that you could add just the emulsifiers as needed, rather than using up more product.

Yeah, I just do what the guys who make the machine tell me. I have so much to occupy my time that sometimes simple "do this!" solutions are just the ticket. Not saying it's the only way, the right way or the best way. On stuff like this I prefer to be lazy and do as I am told.

"freddy" - Industrial Vacuums and Coolant Filtration and Recycling Machines - Freddy - Freddy micro is way smaller more manageable/accessible than the Yellow Bellied Sump Sucker (which I gather is a great machine for large shops.)

AND

Some of the things that make coolant sink are anaerobic - that's why people put bubblers in coolant tanks. You may find that storing coolant in an air tight tank creates a stink problem where you didn't have one before - or not - just a thought.

"freddy" - Industrial Vacuums and Coolant Filtration and Recycling Machines - Freddy - Freddy micro is way smaller more manageable/accessible than the Yellow Bellied Sump Sucker (which I gather is a great machine for large shops.)

AND

Some of the things that make coolant sink are anaerobic - that's why people put bubblers in coolant tanks. You may find that storing coolant in an air tight tank creates a stink problem where you didn't have one before - or not - just a thought.

Freddy looks very interesting. I gather it runs about $2,000 USD. Not bad. It doesn't solve the storage solution though. This would serve as the means to pump coolant in and out of the machine's tank.

Point taken with regards to the potential issues with a sealed drum for storage. It might be best to have some airflow.

I am probably going to contact the coolant manufacturer and see if they might have a recommended storage solution.

You might look up "shade balls"?

Yeah, I remember these from a documentary on reservoirs and how they control evaporation. Interesting thought. Would they help reduce coolant evaporation? Not sure. The coolant tank already has a full metal cover on it. Would adding balls make that much of a difference? Could be worth a test.

Freddy was more than $2K, but I'd have to go look and I'm in the US - you'll want a local to you quote. It would only store about 50L, not relevent. But it can suck quite fast AND blow quite fast, so you can move coolant around 50L at a time. Runs a normal 20amp circuit (US 120v single phase) - Doesn't require a huge air compressor. But no it doesn't store - just filters and moves.

I just vaguely remember using them in a solvent tank to help keep the solvent from overwhelming the operators. It was the old trichloroethane days...

Can you just make up some plastic covers or even cut some plastic sheeting and place it over the exposed coolant areas of the machine. It does not even need to close to air tight to stop 95% of the evaporation.

Back